Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaldwin View Post
    It makes me so sick that such an amazing cave has to be on private property in terms of acess by car/truck .if ginnie didn't allow alcohol/drinking there almost all the idiots wouldn't be there and wouldn't be leaving trash and bottles in the river.really sucks to see people beating up something you love
    06-09-2013
    http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...ry!-What-to-do
    04-21-2012 {January....1981} {Yes, Layfayette S.O was notified & yes we got a... Yes, Layfayette S.O was notified & yes we got a good look at them.......No they were never spotted again ! & this happened before it became a park......Mostly wooded & un-developed ! This was a...


    http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...278#post186278

    & the beat goes on ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr one day they will get caught.


  2. #42

    Default

    A happy ending!!

    In early March, I found a GoPro in the Santa Fe while scootering between the ear and the ballroom. I posted on Ginnie's FaceBook page attempting to find the owner (and had no luck).

    Fast forward to yesterday, when I received a FaceBook message from a couple who had seen my post, and had found a large amount of dive gear on 27/47 in Fort White. They sent me a couple of pictures, hoping I could help find the owner. I posted in the lost and found here on CDF, and within a day was talking on the phone with the rightful owner!

    I've given Robert the contact info for the nice folks who found his gear, and he should be reunited with it soon.

    Teddy


  3. #43
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake City FL
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Thats a great ending. The Facebook page for Ginnie gets a good amount of traffic and is not a bad place to post. People do enjoy the photos and videos that get posted there. Having worked there for several years and several down at the main spring and Devils I have to say most people are honest. But with a ton of people there you will have some rotten apples. I watched gear when I worked them, for divers , cave divers and other people. Its hard to cover a huge area with a 100 percent coverage though. Most of the people that work there hate thiefs and do what they can to catch them. In the several years I worked there though I only caught a few. Its best to have someone watch gear when you leave it in the water or anywhere. Even the grounds crew though cannot believe whats been taken. Last year someone got one of the big BBQ grills that weighs several hundred lbs. As for enforcing rules the grounds crew is pretty limited in what they can do until they get a cop involved or other staff members for help. I am glad you got your gear back. I also want to say several times Cave Divers helped me out what I left something. We all need to keep our eyes open when at dive sites.
    Tom


  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Good things still happen and need to be made more visible!
    All to often hope is crushed in the world in which we live.
    I am glad to hear that the gear was recovered and returned to rightful owner!

    JCG


  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Also guilty of that. Also apparent nothing was taken.

    Not certain this is a methodology I would recommend though
    For me, it's part of my dive "checklist" ritual... ensure the doors are closed/locked, and that my metal "dumb" key is securely around my neck.


  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tstormdiver View Post
    I have a basic truck (no power locks, key fobs or anything fancy). I lock my primary key ring out of sight in the cab, wear the back- up primary key around my neck & let my buddy wear the Valet key around his neck (simple necklaces made of cave line), in case of an emergency & he needs to get in the cab to get the main key ring. I also lock up the camper shell (key is on the main key ring).
    My old pickup truck is simple key with no electronics, it is on a locking carabiner that finds a d ring out of the way while diving, my jeep which does have the fancy fob with security and windows, beeps and so forth stays locked IN my jeep...I got a no electronic key cut that goes diving with me, it opens the Jeep door and the security alarm goes off until I reach the key fob under the seat and turn the alarm off... I don't mind the noise nor letting people know my vehicle is alarmed.

    Chris Richardson

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    The only way a thief is getting into the back of my van is with a cutting torch, plasma cutter or reciprocating saw. If I catch a thief using any of those tools in an attempt to get in, we will find out how effective they are in cutting through bone.


  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Auburn Georgia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I just wanted to say thanks to Teddy and the Forum who were a big help in recovering some of my missing gear. I also want to give a special thanks to Boynton Beach Dive Center, and the guys at Dive Gear Express for helping me replace the items that were not recovered. With out the help from these good people my dive career would have been on hold for quite some time.


  9. #49

    Default

    Heartbreaking, but happy ending! Three of us went to Ginnie on Saturday intending to dive. When we saw the enormous number of soon-to-be drunk college students and locals there, we decided not to risk having our gear stolen and went to Little River instead. I will go back to Ginnie but do so on a day when the tubers are gone.

    Scott Coupland
    Oviedo (Orlando), FL

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoupland View Post
    Heartbreaking, but happy ending! Three of us went to Ginnie on Saturday intending to dive. When we saw the enormous number of soon-to-be drunk college students and locals there, we decided not to risk having our gear stolen and went to Little River instead. I will go back to Ginnie but do so on a day when the tubers are gone.
    It's worst when nobody is around then one dude can just drive up and take your stuff. The drunk kids have better things to do and will at least maybe scare people away since they can witness stuff.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTS Misc. Dive Equipment
    By txdiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  2. Misc Dive Equipment..(For Doubles SetUp)
    By BRC in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
  3. Stolen Tank from Dive Outpost
    By Tazman70 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
  4. Dive equipment for sale
    By RH in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
  5. Stolen Dive Gear
    By Shadowjack in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 06:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts