Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    262

    Default

    I left another follow up message earlier today for the ranger and it appears my attempts to start a dialog have fallen on deaf ears. I can only assume they either don't know or don't care enough about this. Too bad really because most aerial photographers/videographers are very respectful of ones privacy as well as regulations.

    People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decostanza View Post
    I left another follow up message earlier today for the ranger and it appears my attempts to start a dialog have fallen on deaf ears. I can only assume they either don't know or don't care enough about this. Too bad really because most aerial photographers/videographers are very respectful of ones privacy as well as regulations.
    It is possible the ranger doesn't know, and is trying to get advice from his superior.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    For one, I hope the decision is they're a no go.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    I hate to only ask stupid questions, but why in the world do you want to use one of these things in a State park to begin with, unless you just want to annoy as many people as you can, and with enough effort, you can piss everyone off without one of these idiot things.

    After 40 years of flying, I can tell you that the tops of most trees in Florida look almost the same, even from 100 feet agl in my old microlite, which by the way, pissed a lot of people off with the old Hirth engine sounding like a swarm of really big angry wasps.

    My son owns a DJI Phantom, and I cant see the fascination of it. They are noisy and intrusive. With the advent of topless bars, drunk chicks at Ginnie, and the internet, even the old peepholes in the girls locker room are obsolete, so whats the point?

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I have been into flying model rockets and RC aircraft since I was a teenager in the mid-80s. Trying to figure out a way to mount a camera was always fascinating. It was never really practical until the fairly recent introduction of small digital cameras and the new electric powerplants that really improve payload and flight times for RC aircraft.

    I have built plenty of glow fuel and electric RC planes and have built a 'Quad Copter" as a father/son project. (I hate the term 'drone') No camera on it yet, but thats just because we are still working on tweaking the build and are frankly, just not that determined at this point. Just flying it around the yard is plenty fun for now.

    Much of the current "anti drone" narative is pretty disturbing to me. I know a lot of RC enthusiests, and have really not run into the stereotypical techno-perv that seems to be what everyone is afraid of. Are you guys equally as upset by gov't video watching you at every turn? Look at other countrys that have a camera on every corner! Most of you folks probably have a webcam or iphone cam nearby you right now as well, that is succeptable to hackers.

    Most RC folks are really not all that different from tech divers. They like to build and play around with techical gear. An RC flight is not all that different from a dive. You build skill, test out and improve your gear and configuration. Sometimes people get annoyed.. Heck, I get annoyed by people in traffic all the time! Boom boxes blasting, disturbing my peacefull drive. (off topic)..

    Anyway, I humbly suggest that people just chill out a bit on this topic. OFG: I get your point about the view from the tree-tops.. but consider this.. Havn't we all heard a similar POV on cave diving? "whats to see down there?", "I did not loose anything down there!", "Nothing in there worth dying for".. etc. Who are you to judge what somebody else wants to invest their time and efforts to go see, as long as its not hurting anyone.

    I am all for safety. There is the AMA that insures modelers, and I think its a pretty good idea for RC pilots to get this coverage. Many flying clubs offer training, but not really any "certification". Many state parks in IL allow (and encourage) the flying of RC airplanes, but require AMA membership to fly. Maybe its time for organized training and safety rules such as exist in diving.

    Would you feel better about an RC pilot flying at your state park if they were required to prove training, and adherance to rules and standards?

    Just wondering...

    Mark


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I dont care if they're drones, rc copters, or little mini people flying them, and I dont care if you take my picture. They're simply annoying. A guy flies one at our local kiteboarding spot and he stays out of peoples way but its still annoying.
    Keep it out of the state parks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I dont care if they're drones, rc copters, or little mini people flying them, and I dont care if you take my picture. They're simply annoying. A guy flies one at our local kiteboarding spot and he stays out of peoples way but its still annoying.
    Keep it out of the state parks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he stays out of your way, then whats so annoying about it? The sound of the props?

    I think the parks should take it on a case by case basis. (just like diving). If there is space for RC flyers to play without causing a danger to others than whats the big deal!


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    If he stays out of your way, then whats so annoying about it? The sound of the props?

    I think the parks should take it on a case by case basis. (just like diving). If there is space for RC flyers to play without causing a danger to others than whats the big deal!
    Yes. The noise. And the 10 people standing in a circle staring in the air.

    State parks are intended to preserve nature. The noise is a nuisance to both people trying to enjoy themselves and to animals to whom the stare park is their habitat.

    We all have different opinions. I find them annoying. But then again you may find me annoying.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Regardless of whether you are for or against these for capturing unique video / photo perspectives, I did just hear from Alex a few minutes ago (the Ranger that over sees Peacock). I appreciated the courtesy of the return call and the time he took for our conversation. Being of the school of thought that "you don't know unless you ask..."that is why I asked here as others here are much closer to this than I have been.

    What I was told dovetails with what Kelly shared previously, they are not allowed to take off/land in state parks. I also found out that the reason for this is because people have been harassing animals with them creating other serious issues. As such a blanket regulation has been passed for all state parks....for now.

    Hope that helps others that might be looking for unique ways to showcase the beauty of some of the areas we dive.

    People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    On the Sante Fe River
    Posts
    84

    Default

    So last Saturday my wife and her friend were staying in a hotel on Pompano Beach. Just as her friend was stepping out of the shower they noticed a drone hovering by the balcony railing looking in their 3rd floor room sliding glass door. As the women approached the door the drone moved up to the next floor. They spotted what they believe were two men and a woman down on the beach operating the drone and it was obvious to my wife that they were using the thing to look into the hotel rooms. They notified the hotel security but did not follow up as they chalked it up to loser clowns being voyeurs.

    I am a big fan of letting people use public lands for their preferred recreational use. But like hunting and off road vehicles, some parks are better suited for remotes than others. I am sure that some people find the noise that the drones make annoying, but I can not see how it can be any worse than a horde of rowdy tubers.

    As usual the government feels it has to step in to regulate and monitor another hobby like drones because a large number of people cannot be trusted to use the toys/tools in a responsible and courteous manner. The FAA claims that they are getting about 2 commercial aircraft drone sighting reports a day. If the drone hobby folks do not get a better handle on self regulation I see the FAA slamming the door on this hobby sooner or later.

    http://www.govtech.com/dc/articles/I...py-Medium.html



 

Similar Threads

  1. Peacock + quadcopter
    By Scuba Al in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts