Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: Sexism?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    High Springs, Florida
    Posts
    103

    Default Sexism?

    A major diving publication has asked me to write an article on sexism in diving. I'm curious how that makes people feel? Do we still have an issue with sexism in our industry? Are you sick of hearing women complain about unequal treatment? Are there some reasonable suggestions to help women feel validated and men feel informed?
    If there are any men or women that want to share any private anecdotes, please PM me.
    Thanks!
    Jill


  2. #2
    Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Live Oak, Suwannee County, Florida
    Posts
    3,699

    Default

    Great idea.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    A few years ago my stepdaughter Emily was certified. We went on a trip with the local dive shop to Bonaire. She had been diving a couple quarries before the trip. The first boat dive we were putting BC and regs on tank when an older man pushed her aside saying let me do that for you sweety. Emily stepped between the man and her gear and said no thanks sweety, I prefer to do it myself!

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    I'll send a few anecdotes. I haven't had too many problems, but a few. Fortunately there are a ton of wonderful people who treat me like a part of the family as I hope I treat them. Still, every now and again, there are a few problems.

    I'll ask this on the thread--Does it bother any of you about sex pot bikini babes in dive gear advertisements? It does me.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    High Springs, Florida
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I recall many years ago when Marjorie Banks started the "No Bimbos" campaign at DEMA, giving everyone badges to try to put an end to models in lycra and bikinis selling dive gear. She wanted to see real women who were actually divers. It was an interesting response from men and women... very heated that year!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I'll ask this on the thread--Does it bother any of you about sex pot bikini babes in dive gear advertisements? It does me.
    No, it doesn't bother me at all.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    No, it doesn't bother me at all.
    Me neither, but then my taste trends more towards the Torrid catalog models. If you have to ask then you don't know.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    Does it bother any of you about sex pot bikini babes in dive gear advertisements?
    No more than the male model types they're posing with. I prefer advertisements that contain actual useful information about products, but they're getting ever more scarce.


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    No more than the male model types they're posing with. I prefer advertisements that contain actual useful information about products, but they're getting ever more scarce.
    I see a lot of "attractive" people in diving ads. But there's a significant amount more of overt sexuality associated with the women models.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I see a lot of "attractive" people in diving ads. But there's a significant amount more of overt sexuality associated with the women models.
    Yes, you're right. Sex sells, most divers are men, and advertising and marketing are all about manipulating behavior.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts