http://3dprint.com/33889/nemo-explore-underwater-caves/
While reading the news I came across this article. It is interesting but being on any kind of tether I don't see it having a very good range as it seems to me the cable would get line trapped.
http://3dprint.com/33889/nemo-explore-underwater-caves/
While reading the news I came across this article. It is interesting but being on any kind of tether I don't see it having a very good range as it seems to me the cable would get line trapped.
Before the discomfort drives them backup!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."
Earnest Shackleton
...still playin with Tonka Toys in the sandbox...and blowin bubbles in the water...
The process is interesting. PLA to create a silicone mold. I've seen PLA used in a lost "wax" casting of aluminum in place of the wax. I don't use PLA because is not suitable for functional items, but casting is pretty cool.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK
The printing would be relatively quick too, since you only need a shell.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK
This is naive at best as there are much more advanced autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) available commercially as spin-offs of military technology. Check out REMUS (http://www.whoi.edu/main/remus) and Bluefin (http://www.bluefinrobotics.com).
-
This tech was developed to explore Titanic's interior. Most ROV's drag a tether behind them. This uses a fishing reel full of fiber optic cable. The spool contains up to 1/2 mile of ultra-thin fiber optic cable. The fiber line is stationary, and does not move once laid by the ROV. Same as the cave line from a diver's spool. No problems with a line trap stranding the ROV.
DOWNSIDE: the fiber line is NOT reeled up! It is laid down BOTH going in and out. After exiting the cave/shipwreck, the ROV returns to a cradle in it's "mother vehicle" and the fiber line is severed and abandoned in place.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Bookmarks