Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Roubidoux Map, Impressive!

    Not quite sure what motivated me to want a map of Roubidoux but I ordered one. Might be my Great, Great Aunt owned 1000+ acres on it or maybe because Ive planned two trips there that were killed due to weather...who knows. Nostalgia, I guess.

    But I received the map today and it is a nice piece of work. Glad I ordered it. I may even frame it and hang it on a wall somewhere, it's that nice!

    Not sure if Chilldive has any left but I'd get one if you have $28 to spare. Support the project.

    Bob


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
    I may even frame it and hang it on a wall somewhere, it's that nice!


    Bob

    I have the perfect wall picked out for you. Please bring the map with you this weekend. Thx!


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    For $28, I'll buy one for your wall to hang next to your high school almost graduated picture.

    A T shirt tux is not a tux, by the way. And a GED is in no way equivalent. To anything.

    I hear there will be no $5 pitchers for us on Friday. What's next, no more wings at Kazbors?

    Please, it's a joke.


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
    I'll buy one for your wall

    Deal!


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Done.

    I'll deliver this one Friday and have already ordered my replacement.

    Don't screw this one up, it really is nice....

    Bob


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    I just heard kazbors...rich must be close by


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branson MO
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Yes they take pride in their maps. When they get a new one done after they get all the new data entered and able to get it ready for print. I hope theuy offer them in the same size as what they do now. Oh since you have a map, now think of what it takes to get that info, with the water temps and the depths they are working at.

    I am not a part of the OCDA but very impressed what they have done in the last few years and that they are making some record dives that are a feet itself if people knew what the water temps are like. THey have helped many of us ocal divers with some information.

    SLIM


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Age
    63
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Just saw this. Thanks from our team for all the kudos.

    BTW, I always have these available, or can make them.

    We're all anxiously awaiting the creation of a new map with the new exploration data we've collected this year. Current map is out to about 5000' and the system itself is now surveyed out to 10,043'. Additionally, we've discovered and surveyed the Finger Loop, which is a continuation of the Finger Tunnel on the current map - this is now a 900' side passage.

    If conditions clear up by this weekend, we plan to explore even further. Last exploration we did, we were onsite for 18 hrs and long range divers were in water for 14 hrs - and that doesn't include the dives the previous day to place deco tanks. So yes, it does take some effort to get that map data.

    Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." William Wallace - Braveheart

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default

    That is just flat out impressive. I was just thinking on Friday as I was coming off of a 15 minute deco stop in Jackson Blue in 68 degree water, if my leg was soaking wet like it is now, but I was at the end of an exploration dive in RB in 50 degree water, I'd be toast. You guys are amazing. 10,000 ft...I'd flat out like to see what that looks like. Let me recount an old story about the "finger tunnel" now the "finger loop". Bob, Scott, and I found that thing one day and we ran a line over to it. I poked my head in and went over to the left wall of the new tunnel. Of course it didn't go so Scott took the lead and headed straight down the tunnel, on his scooter of course. Poof went the silt, and there was no way Bob and I could scooter behind him. We decided to just wait for him in the dust. About 2 minutes later he sheepishly peers out of the cloud, OKing the line with scooter in one hand and the other hand, a clenched fist with one middle finger pointed our way. I practically coughed up my lungs laughing. That's how it got the name "finger tunnel". We swam it a couple times on later dates and just ran out of time and gas surveying on the way out. I thought I had royally screwed up the survey data, but the direction must have been right. Glad you could connect the loop. The "Picnic Loop" has an equally amusing tale behind it. Bob and I went to the end of the line and didn't know if we should make the right turn or turn up the slope into what would become the Picnic area. We ditched our scooters and swam up the slope carefully laying line in what we thought was a going concern. After a few minutes we were surprised to see that someone had been here before us because there was a line running parallel to our newly laid line. Whoa, there's one of our line arrows. We doubled back on our mainline creating the Loop. We tied off and swam back to our scooters. Bob and I were both tired, but Bob was also hungry. No joke, he pulls a sandwich out of a zip lock bag and eats it right there, almost a mile back and 150 foot deep at the beginning of the loop. Yep, the "Picnic Loop" found its name. Richard Kelch from Canada and I surveyed that later (Mike Buddy made the numbers work for the soon to be published map), but there could still be all kinds of surprises on that Loop. That was sure a lot of fun. I'll bet you guys are having a ball. Be safe and forge on. Congrats.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Age
    63
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavekrazi View Post
    That is just flat out impressive. I was just thinking on Friday as I was coming off of a 15 minute deco stop in Jackson Blue in 68 degree water, if my leg was soaking wet like it is now, but I was at the end of an exploration dive in RB in 50 degree water, I'd be toast. You guys are amazing. 10,000 ft...I'd flat out like to see what that looks like. Let me recount an old story about the "finger tunnel" now the "finger loop". Bob, Scott, and I found that thing one day and we ran a line over to it. I poked my head in and went over to the left wall of the new tunnel. Of course it didn't go so Scott took the lead and headed straight down the tunnel, on his scooter of course. Poof went the silt, and there was no way Bob and I could scooter behind him. We decided to just wait for him in the dust. About 2 minutes later he sheepishly peers out of the cloud, OKing the line with scooter in one hand and the other hand, a clenched fist with one middle finger pointed our way. I practically coughed up my lungs laughing. That's how it got the name "finger tunnel". We swam it a couple times on later dates and just ran out of time and gas surveying on the way out. I thought I had royally screwed up the survey data, but the direction must have been right. Glad you could connect the loop. The "Picnic Loop" has an equally amusing tale behind it. Bob and I went to the end of the line and didn't know if we should make the right turn or turn up the slope into what would become the Picnic area. We ditched our scooters and swam up the slope carefully laying line in what we thought was a going concern. After a few minutes we were surprised to see that someone had been here before us because there was a line running parallel to our newly laid line. Whoa, there's one of our line arrows. We doubled back on our mainline creating the Loop. We tied off and swam back to our scooters. Bob and I were both tired, but Bob was also hungry. No joke, he pulls a sandwich out of a zip lock bag and eats it right there, almost a mile back and 150 foot deep at the beginning of the loop. Yep, the "Picnic Loop" found its name. Richard Kelch from Canada and I surveyed that later (Mike Buddy made the numbers work for the soon to be published map), but there could still be all kinds of surprises on that Loop. That was sure a lot of fun. I'll bet you guys are having a ball. Be safe and forge on. Congrats.
    That's some good stuff there. Bob had relayed the Finger Tunnel story to me once before, but always fun to hear another perspective. I hadn't heard the Picnic Loop story before. You guys did some awesome stuff back then! Thanks for sharing.

    Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." William Wallace - Braveheart


 

Similar Threads

  1. Roubidoux, MO 8/1/09
    By WJH in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM
  2. Roubidoux
    By cavewrecktec in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts