Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    No violation if manatees come to you. You can pet them. You can't pursue or harass them.
    That is the federal stance as I understand it but the state takes a dimmer view I just stay away in state waters.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    That is the federal stance as I understand it but the state takes a dimmer view I just stay away in state waters.
    I've been diving Hospital Hole for nearly two decades for manatee. I've never had a bad experience with the manatee or the state. Obviously, I'm not trying to ride the manatee, but FWC and Sheriff's deputies never give us a hard time. Most of the time they're just interested in talking to us about scuba.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Line Squirrel View Post
    Seen manatees in the Ear/Eye run several years back, probably around Jan.-Feb. which makes sense with the cold river water and warm spring water. I was on my rebreather, super cool. They were coming up to me and (I think) checking out their reflection in my mask. Spent 1/2 or more scratching their bellies ) Good stuff.

    I remember that! We did an hour dive in 6-10 feet of water on CCR! It was awesome!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  4. #14
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    As far as I can think of, I believe that experience is pretty much unique.

    I don't know of any other instances of being able to consistently have that kind of interaction with large wildlife without being eaten, trampled, or evaded. Just hanging in the water and having them come up behind and bump you, then swim up and roll over so you can scratch their belly is a pretty cool thing.


  5. #15
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I've been to Homosassa Springs three times. They have a habitat area and we've seen dozens there every time.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake City FL
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    I went to Blue Springs before they would kick divers out. The rule then was not start interaction with them and was told they were afraid of scuba. We did the hole but by far and away the interaction with them was the very best part of the dive. They approached us while we just laid down on the river bottom in 3 ft of water. They would come face to face and play with your fins. They were not afraid of scuba in the least and very interactive even with us being hands free. I had just gotten a digital camera and was waiting on a housing to arrive so I did not have my own photos but thank goodness a friend had one. Even before we went down one swam up behind me and stuck his head inbetween my legs. Everyone in the group got a big laugh out of it as they saw him swim up and waited for my reaction.


  7. #17

    Default

    Awesome thanks

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ponce de Leon Florida area info
    By Captain Bil in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM
  2. Any Info on River Cave?
    By metaldector in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts