Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default Which GoPro Model

    I am thinking about buying GoPro Hero 4. Black or Silver? I will use both underwater and top side. Suggestions please.

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Oigarden View Post
    I am thinking about buying GoPro Hero 4. Black or Silver? I will use both underwater and top side. Suggestions please.
    The Major difference is the resolution. They don't do a very good job publishing low light sensitivity numbers. Both Black, and Silver claim "auto low light setting". The Black has 4X the resolution, but few systems can display that, yet.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I have an original and the Hero 3 Black. Aside from the resolution I like the ability to view footage via Wifi to my phone or tablet after the dive.

    Both need a lot of light to make up for the small sensor.

    Sappers Forward
    841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    The Major difference is the resolution. They don't do a very good job publishing low light sensitivity numbers. Both Black, and Silver claim "auto low light setting". The Black has 4X the resolution, but few systems can display that, yet.
    Even the Hero3+ Black had the "low light" setting...it just means it slows the frame rate to lengthen exposure time. Not really mindblowing. Also, the new bottom of the line $130 model, the "Hero" has that setting. The silver and black 4 have a bigger sensor and some kind of voodoo that makes them perform better in low light than what the slower frame rate can do...so they say. The black is supposed to be awesome at low light. "professional grade" low light footage they say. I don't know, and won't know from experience, because I'd rather buy a deco bottle and reg for that price.

    i think the answer is, buy the highest one that you can afford without getting in too much trouble with your significant other.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I had the silver and thought the video was great. I never bought into the hype I've seen on cdf that the black makes a huge difference


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    78

    Default Which GoPro Model

    I recently decided to bite the bullet and purchase a gopro. My research led me to the Hero 4 Silver. The light sensor for the 4 black and silver seem to be the same, therefore they should have the same low light performance.

    Major difference between the 4 Black and 4 Silver: Black has 4K 30fps (silver has 4K 15 fps max) and Silver has built in touch screen back. Silver also has better battery life at the same recording settings.

    I also looked at the 3+ Black, which has specs very similar to the 4 Silver. I hope/expect the 3+ price to drop but at the time there was only a $50 difference between the two.


  7. #7

    Default

    They're all good..., for applied purpose. I just spent 10 days in the Carribean using the Black 3+ and was amazed by the quality of stills or video. Naturally I had plenty of day light, but ran plenty of tests in rather dark swim thoughs, canyons, deeper trench work and noted I had to experiment with settings, resolution mostly, and the usual camera learning techniques. In caves, they're all going to depend on plenty of light, which is in equal cost to that of the camera. So, it's getting all the right tools, apps, and software going, as it worked flawlessly for me, with small learning curves. The wide angle lens on all work will get tiring.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    540

    Default

    I have a Hero 2, and I mistakenly bought the underwater dive housing for the Hero 3. Does anyone want to trade a flat lens Hero 2 housing for it?

    "If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

    www.floridacavediver.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default Went with GoPro 4 Black

    Thank you everyone for the input. Went with the GoPro 4 Black. I have been setting it up the last few days and practicing. I am very pleased. My computer and laptop are 2007 vintage. I guess it is now time to upgrade my computer to keep up with the GoPro technology. So round 2. Any suggestions on the best computer to use to edit and produce the GoPro videos?

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Oigarden View Post
    Thank you everyone for the input. Went with the GoPro 4 Black. I have been setting it up the last few days and practicing. I am very pleased. My computer and laptop are 2007 vintage. I guess it is now time to upgrade my computer to keep up with the GoPro technology. So round 2. Any suggestions on the best computer to use to edit and produce the GoPro videos?
    You could scrap your OS and go with something lighter like a Linux flavor and max out your RAM. My machine still has a 3.5 floppy drive in it Between Gimp and Kdenlive I've not needed anything more powerful.

    Sappers Forward
    841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID



 

Similar Threads

  1. HS Explorer Model M for sale
    By elythomas in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
  2. FS - Hydospace Explorer Model M - Like New
    By Fathom044 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts