Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    83

    Default Need Recommendations: DUI Demodays - Chiefland, FL

    Thinking about attending the DUI Demo days next weekend. I've never dove dry and would like to try it. Couple of questions:

    a) Worth it? Do you actually get to spend any real time in the caves with the suit?
    b) I've never dove at Manatee Springs before. High flow system? I normally dive Ginnie, Peacock, Madison, Little River, etc.
    c) I'd like to get multiple dives in while I am there (not all with a dry suit). Any recommendations on dive shops in the area? Looking for cave fills
    d) Anyone else heading up? Looking forward to a quite getaway weekend, but would be awesome to meet a few new dive buddies and go diving.
    e) Good places to stay? probably come up Friday and stay through Sunday.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    From the sound of the demo day on the website you get to try quite a few different suits but just how long, not sure.

    Yes, high flow
    Shops, not really sure where you can get cave fills near there cause I havent needed them.
    KUR will be there presenting the survey/mapping data, some odds and ends and maybe a bit of video fom when viz was quite good so there will be divers around, for sure.
    There are a few hotels in the area, both national chains and locals...I cannot advise on one in particular.

    Should be a good time and plenty of diving to be done.

    Bob


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chiefland Fl
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Yes it's worth it .
    No they don't allow you to enter the cave in while using thier drysuit .
    Only allowed to dive in the open water areas .
    But yes the flow is kicking at manatee right now in the cave zone .
    Closest dive shop for cave fills is cave country dive shop in high springs .
    As far as hotels there are a few decedent ones to choose from . Holiday Inn , Best western , and manatee springs motel .
    It's for sure worth it to try the suits and I did it for several years in a row to test different ones ..
    Enjoy


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    You're in the same position I was in several years ago when about to buy a drysuit. You should absolutely do it, but go for 2 days not just one since you've never dove dry. Remember you will most likely not get to use your regular fins. Seems like a minor annoyance, but there's lots of people using their "borrow" gear and if you need the same size fin 6 other people do, you may get less dive time in.

    In one day you may not be able to dive as many suits as you like, and you may even get frustrated and need to step away and come back the next day. Drysuit diving is like stepping into doubles for the first time. It takes some getting used to.

    You will only be doing OW diving while in their suits. It would be unsafe otherwise. Stick around for dinner and watch the presentation.

    More importantly get measured by one of DUI's employees. If possible seek out Faith(I think that's right). She's one of Dick Long's daughters and I'm pretty sure the inventor of their measuring system.

    It is absolutely well worth it. I think you even gegt a discount if you buy a suit within a certain number of months from attendance.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    I didn't think about the fin issue for people. I have some extra fins in xl, Xxl I will bring for others to use.

    Just stop by the KUR booth and grab some.

    Just don't get amnesia when it comes to returning them.

    Bob


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    They also post instructors to help you in the water. Try and get in with someone who knows how to dive. I got in the water and the instructor was a classic poodle jacket bottom stirrer and his help was worse than going it alone. Luckily my cavern instructor worked dog days and came to give me pointers


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Thank you to everyone and their advice looking for to checking it out.

    Bob.... Thanks for the offer! I will swing by Saturday.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    I went to the DUI Demo Days up here in Virginia a couple weeks ago. I was actually able to find an off-the-shelf suit to fit me fairly well. I was glad I went. Because I didn't have a Drysuit Cert, they made me dive with an "instructor" who was giving guided dives. Each was about 18 minutes long. I just followed along behind the others who were in a drysuit for the first time and mostly ignored by the instructor. Because he knew he didn't need to keep a careful eye on me. I kinda kept my eye on the others and just went time and again.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I went to the DUI Demo Days up here in Virginia a couple weeks ago. I was actually able to find an off-the-shelf suit to fit me fairly well. I was glad I went. Because I didn't have a Drysuit Cert, they made me dive with an "instructor" who was giving guided dives. Each was about 18 minutes long. I just followed along behind the others who were in a drysuit for the first time and mostly ignored by the instructor. Because he knew he didn't need to keep a careful eye on me. I kinda kept my eye on the others and just went time and again.
    So, did you buy the drysuit?

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I'll be volunteering again this year for water work in standard cave configuration and so will at least two others.

    This will be my fourth year attending.

    It's a great experience and a great way to try before you buy.

    Sappers Forward
    841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts