Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default Trashing the caves, do you not feel any shame?

    Yesterday I saw hundreds of up to 15’-20' long deep SPG tracks, along with an equal amount of tank and fin marks, past 4000' back in Jackson Blue in the Middle Grounds area. I'm convinced these traces were not there, at least not nearly as many, last time I dove there in February.
    I stopped counting at one point and went into some of the silty side passages at the end of Middle Grounds, in the hope of escaping the chaos. Guess what, even these areas were full of such marks :-(

    Whoever is doing this, what on earth are you thinking?
    Stirring up the silt is bad enough as it is, especially since the passages there are huge. But leaving traces in the clay is nothing but shameful since they will stay there for longer than you and I will cave dive.

    If you are reading this, you know exactly who you are. Get the proper training to make up for your complete absence of diving skills, before you not only destroy the caves for others, but endanger or even kill someone.
    And while you’re at it, consider getting a DPV card too.

    I could go on ranting forever, but I won’t. Everyone else, please let me know what you think could be done to fix this.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    .. Everyone else, please let me know what you think could be done to fix this.
    Ask Michael Angelo for suggestions, he repaired the damage in Cow.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Ask Michael Angelo for suggestions, he repaired the damage in Cow.

    Ironically there is a session Saturday at the NFSA's Advanced Skills Clinic that has Michael Angelo and myself going over cave restoration projects.

    The real pity is that caves are treated as play grounds and not respected as being the delicate ecosystems that they are,so cave conservation is regarded fairly lowly. Cave divers need to be forewarned that for people who own these systems it is a great concern. I know of at least 3 systems that are inquiring about cave damage,with the solution limiting access eg. number of people per day. Time to wake up.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Ask Michael Angelo for suggestions, he repaired the damage in Cow.
    Forrest, I'm afraid this may be way beyond repair. We are talking about an area the size of the Peacock cavern just covered with these marks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Ironically there is a session Saturday at the NFSA's Advanced Skills Clinic that has Michael Angelo and myself going over cave restoration projects.

    The real pity is that caves are treated as play grounds and not respected as being the delicate ecosystems that they are,so cave conservation is regarded fairly lowly. Cave divers need to be forewarned that for people who own these systems it is a great concern. I know of at least 3 systems that are inquiring about cave damage,with the solution limiting access eg. number of people per day. Time to wake up.
    I'll attend the workshop tomorrow and hope we may be able to talk about this.
    Limiting access to a certain number of people may just slow the process a little, but it won't help fix the root causes. In my opinion only better training and the development of proper awareness and skillsets will help.


  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post

    I'll attend the workshop tomorrow and hope we may be able to talk about this.
    Limiting access to a certain number of people may just slow the process a little, but it won't help fix the root causes. In my opinion only better training and the development of proper awareness and skillsets will help.
    I will look forward to talking to you.
    You are right prevention is the best medicine,and having a better skill set too. Although the perception by noncave diving landowners is the way to reduce these problems is to reduce access-yes I have seen this in writing!!!!! Does it work? Yes, guided sites have less damage because the amount of traffic is less,and the guide keeps you away from very sensitive areas. These type of limitations go into place we only have ourselves to blame.

    The real tragedy is how little or poorly we acknowledge cave conservation. Land owners , the people who own the places we access, have a strong concern. They even look at those Go-pro videos posted here and You Tube and question what they are seeing.

    Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 08-22-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    Yesterday I saw hundreds of up to 15’-20' long deep SPG tracks, along with an equal amount of tank and fin marks, past 4000' back in Jackson Blue in the Middle Grounds area. I'm convinced these traces were not there, at least not nearly as many, last time I dove there in February.
    I stopped counting at one point and went into some of the silty side passages at the end of Middle Grounds, in the hope of escaping the chaos. Guess what, even these areas were full of such marks :-(

    Whoever is doing this, what on earth are you thinking?
    Stirring up the silt is bad enough as it is, especially since the passages there are huge. But leaving traces in the clay is nothing but shameful since they will stay there for longer than you and I will cave dive.

    If you are reading this, you know exactly who you are. Get the proper training to make up for your complete absence of diving skills, before you not only destroy the caves for others, but endanger or even kill someone.
    And while you’re at it, consider getting a DPV card too.

    I could go on ranting forever, but I won’t. Everyone else, please let me know what you think could be done to fix this.
    I haven't been back to that area in nearly 5 years, but there were scratch marks all over back then. Honestly I'm guessing a lot of this is older damage back from when people were swimming that far back.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  7. #7

    Default

    I think we can use these damning GoPro videos to our benefit. People should be shamed for poor form. They'll either stop posting the videos, which isn't bad if that's what the property owners are using against us. Or they'll consider their own form.

    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    I think we can use these damning GoPro videos to our benefit. People should be shamed for poor form. They'll either stop posting the videos, which isn't bad if that's what the property owners are using against us. Or they'll consider their own form.
    Maybe so,if big brother is watching maybe they will be more concerned,or stop posting. I was surprised when I watched two videos by two exploration groups recently,and saw some alarming things in reference to cave conservation. If I and others voice our complaints will it stop these practices,or we will just see less video postings.

    The bottom line is cave conservation in cave training needs to be less of a footnote that is breezed over,but a continuous part of the course and debrief. Only then will it be given high regard by that person in the future.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Venice,Fl
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I can tell you from firsthand experience that posting gopro videos of others acting like strokes in caves does not bode well for the poster........


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1997 View Post
    I can tell you from firsthand experience that posting gopro videos of others acting like strokes in caves does not bode well for the poster........
    I checked the passages again yesterday and here is just a little Gopro footage. This is not all of the damage, just some of the more impressive imprints.
    As you may notice, there are several marks cause by a scooter in this video, a few of them with what looks like prop marks.




 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM
  2. How do you feel about the Dive Rite Transplate System?
    By cavediveroneday in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 05:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts