Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Nacd journal

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default Nacd journal

    I just received my NACD Journal and I must say it was some of the best reading cover to cover than anything I have seen. It truly focuses on cave diving and also has a fictional story that will continue issue after issue. Can't wait to get the next one to see what will be the outcome of the OW Diver.
    Rob Netto had a very good article on the "Pull and Glide". I was taught by a very well known local Cave Diving Instructor that if you swim in a cave you are not properly cave diving. This was pounded in my head from Cavern to Apprentice. I attended 2 different workshops, NACD and NSS/CDS and heard the same thing; protect the cave when diving. The "Pull" is used in a very high flow situation. The "Pull and Glide" I was taught was so that the diver would be conserving his gas by not swimming. My initial cave and cavern diving was always a "Pull and Glide" method of propulsion. I am embarrassed to admit that but that is what I was taught and had no idea how wrong it was.
    Michael A. had a great article on Cave Conservation. If this forum was not available and students or new cave divers did not ask questions, they would be doing what they were taught. I now know that no matter how long the instructor has been diving the "Old School Method" it should not be taught to new students. There are new and more conservational methods in todays cave diving. This same instructor says that SM is a fad. I believed that until I tried it. I am now a Full Cave Certified SM Diver through Edd.
    No matter what agency you are with you have the right as a student to ask questions and get other opinions from cave divers if you think your instructor is teaching you wrong.
    I will not give the name of this instructor but I am sure that almost all of you know him well or at least by reputation.

    Last edited by shellmoundal; 07-21-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling


 

Similar Threads

  1. Help with NACD journal after Volume 26, No. 4, 1994-1996
    By Bill Oigarden in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM
  2. computer article on NACD journal
    By Daphne in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 11:12 AM
  3. NACD Journal
    By rblackburn in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts