Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default dive rite nitek plus battery change

    anyone ever changed their own battery on a dive rite nitek plus? Just curious if it was hard or worth attempting... the current rate to have dive rite do it is $50... seems a little steep for a computer that is probably only worth $100 or so. Any suggestions?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Mine flooded first dive after change...and it was saltwater, too.

    Crappy little oring in there.

    bob


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    I changed mine out a couple years back. I forget if it was difficult at all or not. That fact that I don't recall makes me think it couldn't have been too bad though.

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    169

    Default

    It is incredibly simple.
    I've got a couple and I've changed the batteries. Just make sure you use a quality battery, as it isn't worth the hassle if you use cheap, old batteries. I changed one out and realized I didn't have any name brand cr2032s, only "expired" off brand ones. I ended up changing it out less than a week later when I could get better batteries (and it was already flashing low bat).

    To replace them you just remove the four rear phillips screws with a jewelers screwdriver. Then the entire center piece of the watch is free to slide out. There are a couple contact points from buttons on the side you have to line up if you end up removing it, and a ribbon cable that I didn't bother to disconnect.
    The battery is held in with a latch on the side.

    Super easy install, and definitely not worth the $50 per watch. I can't remember the O-ring size though, and ended up reusing the original. It has been fine so far to 100ft or so (knock on wood). Does anyone have that spec?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    18

    Default

    If your close to Orlando area I would suggest you bring it into dayo scuba

    Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjasper View Post
    If your close to Orlando area I would suggest you bring it into dayo scuba

    Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
    I am a "do-it-yourself-er"... I can't stand paying anyone to do something I can do myself. I figured it was probably just a simple battery swap with an 0-ring... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sealed compartment. I will give it a shot... worse/best case scenario I upgrade to a shearwater!


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default Done!

    Super easy... Took about 3 min and $3... Here are some pics

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	11045Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	11046Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	11047Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	11048


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Cool


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Super easy... Took about 3 min and $3... Here are some pics

    Attachment 11045Attachment 11046Attachment 11047Attachment 11048
    Glad it worked out. Easier to change than a watch battery, right? Did you end up replacing the O-ring? It'd probably be prudent for me to do the next time I swap my batteries.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Didn't replace the oring... Static oring, looked good, just cleaned and lightly lubed.... Dove yesterday and all was well.



 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Dive Rite Nitek Trio Dive Computer
    By navycaver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
  2. Old Dive Rite MLS Light battery wanted
    By Herbie in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
  3. Dive Rite Nitek He
    By wingman in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
  4. Dive Rite Battery Holder for MLS Cannister
    By tdmp in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 12:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts