So, you're right....there IS no "no failure" threshold. The phenomenon by which this occurs is plastic deformation. Under a certain strain threshold, the deformation is "purely" elastic and therefore has no permanent crystalline structure changes. By "purely" elastic, I mean 99.999%+ elastic. Plastic deformation is a permanent crystalline structure shift. This is what "hardens" the tank. I'm not sure what the pressure is (tank mfgs won't release sufficient specs for my math, and I'm NOT cutting a tank apart for this forum

)......but there's a point where plastic deformation actually becomes "relevant." The higher the pressure, the more lifespan reduction. From what I understand (and based off of math based off of a bunch of guesses).....our "normal" fill pressures will give our steel tanks long enough lifespans that rust and physical damage will take the tanks LONG before elastic deformation causes an issue. This is all under the assumption that we fill our tanks to "normal" pressures at "normal" speeds and treat them like "normal" people.
Bookmarks