Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Their instructor was Steve Gerrard. That was the first question I asked. Oh...and I used to teach Anger Management. I guess the saying really is true, "those who can't do, teach."

    Last edited by Superlyte27; 06-24-2014 at 06:39 AM.

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    No meds, just a refusal to tolerate be as I see it. If you don't like it, avoid me.
    That's should have said "tolerate bs"
    Stupid AutoCorrect


  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marianna FL
    Posts
    192

    Default

    I got that Peter and no harm intended. I am glad something was said. I hear Ginnie Springs is a great place for a good old down home shootout but think that should be left for the drunken river rats and not brought on by the cave divers.


  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    I got that Peter and no harm intended. I am glad something was said. I hear Ginnie Springs is a great place for a good old down home shootout but think that should be left for the drunken river rats and not brought on by the cave divers.
    The heated exchange wasn't really heated at all. But I understand that doesn't make for a good story. It wasn't a shouting match. No one was screaming or threatening anyone. The whole thing lasted less time than it takes to eject someone from your car. I doubt either party was terribly upset. I certainly was not. I was relieved that they made it back alive. I was aggravated that they would excuse away every point I brought up. And as the conversation went on, that aggravation grew. But hammers and guns were not necessary.


  5. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    The heated exchange wasn't really heated at all. But I understand that doesn't make for a good story. It wasn't a shouting match. No one was screaming or threatening anyone. The whole thing lasted less time than it takes to eject someone from your car. I doubt either party was terribly upset. I certainly was not. I was relieved that they made it back alive. I was aggravated that they would excuse away every point I brought up. And as the conversation went on, that aggravation grew. But hammers and guns were not necessary.
    The fill station at Ginnie used to have the bad technique fly swatter,wonder what a local shop might have

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Their instructor was Steve Gerrard. That was the first question I asked. Oh...and I used to teach Anger Management. I guess the saying really is true, "those who can't do, teach."
    I met & knew Steve Gerrard for awhile & I cannot believe that he would certify someone without that person/persons qualifing ! I have a lot of respect for Steve. My own CI was a college level instructor & teacher who failed me on my first Cave class. Thankfully for that as i had to improve my own skills to go back & re-take his class to pass it. {Lloyd Baily} That is the mark of a good instructor....to flunk a student not up to the certs ! I still could use a refresher from a qualifed instructor & would like to take today's Full &/or Side mount classes. Education & Training are the key to being a safe cave diver. It is the right thing to do to address a diver who is not doing what should be natural & safe.
    You are a better person for offering to help him.
    Thank you for your posts.
    Jack e.

    Last edited by JE; 06-24-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: idk

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JE View Post
    I met & knew Steve Gerrard for awhile & I cannot believe that he would certify someone without that person/persons qualifing !
    The OP said he has been full cave for over 20 years. A lot can happen in 20 years. Unless you are diving often, skills can deteriorate. Unless you are diving conscientiously, skills can deteriorate. For example, I live far from caves, and it is a real effort for me to get to them. When I do make such trips, I am usually being led in places I have never been before, and the person leading me usually lays the line. I recently realized I had not done a lot of line laying for quite some time. I therefore traveled to a dive site with a rocky floor so I could get some practice. I think I will do that again soon.

    I am an OW instructor, and I sometimes teach refresher courses. I recently worked with two NAUI divers who had not been diving for 11 years. They frankly looked like they had never dived before in their lives, and it took a lot of effort to make them look like divers. I don't blame their initial NAUI instruction for that. I blame 11 years of inactivity.

    John Adsit
    Boulder, CO
    Deep Adventure Scuba

  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    The question is not "How long have you been certified?" but "How many dives have you made in the past 12 months?"


  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Winter Garden
    Posts
    68

    Default

    It is always interesting that people tell on themselves when they display bad behavior. Ill admit that I hit the silt. As for the pistol grip light that was a GoPro with a small brand new video light on a tray. I was working with my new GoPro and lost buoyancy sorry. If I messed up your dive sorry. It seems that you feel you need to act like a Bully. I was a little rusty with backmount I usually side mount. I did notice that the Forum Moderator had to edit your response due to profanity. Men admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for messing up. I will work on my skills. Stay safe and I will try to do the same.


  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bakrt View Post
    I did notice that the Forum Moderator had to edit your response due to profanity. Men admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for messing up. I will work on my skills. Stay safe and I will try to do the same.
    I put the "S" back into the "BS", because Peter's autocorrect turned it into "BE". So strictly speaking, I restored the original content.
    Personally, I wouldn't really call "BS" profanity, but that's just my opinion. I'm not a native speaker, so I wouldn't know.

    Glad to hear that you will be working on your skills. If you need a buddy to help you with any of that, please drop me a PN.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 100
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts