Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Big cave diving anthropology story in the news

    Main article on the ancestry of Native Americans from a skeleton found by cave divers in Hoyo Negro in the Yucatan. Popular press articles in National Geographic:

    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...o-archaeology/

    and Slate:

    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...o_indians.html

    "It was more than breathtaking, it was like having stumbled upon some alien cathedral on some other planet, which some otherworld race with their incomprehensible architecture and alien sculpture had ages past built, decorated, and dedicated to their unknowable God."
    James Jones. His Capitol M Manhood. In Down Time: Great Writers on Diving, 2nd ed.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    968

    Default

    That would be so awesome to go cave diving and run across human remains.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyN View Post
    That would be so awesome to go cave diving and run across human remains.
    Yes, as long as they aren't fresh!


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    You can go to Vortex. I heard a rummor there might be some there. Just watch out around the memorial it might cause your dive gear to malfunction.

    All kidding aside I really enjoy looking at the fossils in the less traveled caves. I know they found a little boys skeleton in Chan Hol (sp?). I wonder how the Dna was different between these two. Wasn't it about the same age?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    968

    Default

    LoL Eric! Yah that memorial sign at Vortex has bad juju! I love fossils as well. I believe it was Chan Hol where we ran across a human skull on Marissa's cave diving trip. Of course it was promptly removed once word got out


  6. #6

    Default

    I work with a team that recovers extinct monkey fossils from the caribbean. I co-authored a paper describing a beautiful jaw found in the Dominican Republic. Some of these caves have so little oxygen that we're finding bones that are tens of thousands of years old, but look like they were de-fleshed last week (no oxygen, no decay)!

    Check out the videos/news etc. here: z.klukkert.com


  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Very cool stuff! Thanks!

    "Is this thing on?"


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eagles Nest / Cave Diving Feature Story
    By dgschott in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts