This thread has been a good read.

As for my starting out I would show my highest card I earned at the time but once i did my NAUI Master diver and Divemaster I quickly learned all about the liability I have as a "professional". Reading the mountain of Risk Analysis/assessment and Insurance paperwork I'd just rather play dumb unless with a class. I now always show my lowest skills card acceptable for the dive(s) to be done. Usually my OW card as I really like shallower (longer) reef dive than any deep wreck.

I still bring my own LPs cave filled and dive with my single BP/W which always gets comments. 3 times now on 2 different boats they tried to turn off my left hand tank. I get comments like "WOAH buddy you forgot to turn on your tank" . I guess I can understand because my equipment is not like the norm they are used too.

I have never been paired with the DM. I have usually just meet another single diver and we buddy up. I again play down my skills unless like one dive off Miami a newly minted diver was on his 1st post training dive and nervous. I told him i just did my rescue and he relaxed,we budded up and he had a good time.

I have routinely seen like others have said people flashing high advanced training cards usually get made fun of. Heard one time by the DM on the boat that "Instructors are the worst divers" "They dont listen to anyone" maybe true in some cases. To date I have never shown my cave card on an ocean dive and dont plan too.

NOW will a cave card help with a wreck penetration dive is another good question????