Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunabku View Post

    I show the most appropriate card for the situation, and nothing more. That is usually my AOW card on a boat. I never show them my DM card because it opens me up to liability.

    Agree 100%. A fellow instructor was on a dive trip in Mexico and got caught up in a legal squabble when a diver got into trouble. The instructor was on a personal fun trip with no students but yet the boat captain thought the instructor could have prevented the accident. From then on all he ever shows is his Advance OW card.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    I just show my nitrox card. Never had an issue with "hand holding" on the boat.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #13
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I showed up on the Nekton Pilot with a Solo Card, a scooter, and a buddy bottle, and told them I had over 500 logged cave dives. They left me completely to myself.

    I wish they were still in business. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ocala FL
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I agree about the Nekton boats. I did numerous trips with them--all their Bahamas itineraries, Puerto Rico, Belize. Any liveaboard using 95 steels is a truly enlightened dive operation.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I live in Homestead FL and often go down to the keys to dive. Diving Key Largo is pretty easy and they are understanding. However it seems the further south you go the more they treat you like a tourist and don't want to hear anything except cash or charge. As soon as i get on the boat i try to chat up the DM to put them at ease to get the "hand holding" attitude dropped.

    I brought lp 98's to dive in Key West and they were confused as to what i was intending to do. Anything other than AL80 and they don't know what to say or do. I had them filled while i was down there and they only wanted to fill them to 2400 PSI. I had to arguewith them to get up to 2600 PSI. They kept talking like the steal tanks were going to explode however, my friend's AL 80 had 3400 PSI.

    As much as i love diving the reefs in the keys, sometimes it is a headache and i don't want to do it.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Holly, NC
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    I'll never show a DM card again! Advance NITROX and Deco card gets me about everything I need without the instant buddy assigned to me by the DM.

    "...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I showed up on the Nekton Pilot with a Solo Card, a scooter, and a buddy bottle, and told them I had over 500 logged cave dives. They left me completely to myself.

    I wish they were still in business. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Nekton boats were my favorite live-aboards. Excellent staff, and wonderful dive sites. And no sea-sickness!

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    ...boats...And no sea-sickness!
    I didn't know that the two could be separated!


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pasco, Washington
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I have had exactly the same experience....."yes, I am full cave and advance trimix through NACD and TDI" "Ok, do you have your AOW and Nitrox card with you?"


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Go with people who know the boat. Get some recommendations in the area if you can't go with a known quantity. Don't be a schmuck and you'll be fine.

    Can't even remember the last time I showed a card. I simply showed up with a regular and said "I'm with Steve". They said fill this out and write your cert number and level here.

    Then the next time or two later, you'll be Steve.

    Best way I found to garner respect is to have decent air consumption. That was when I crewed, too. Someone who said they were so amazing and blew through their gas was quickly dismissed as a legend in their own mind.

    Bob



 

Similar Threads

  1. CDS Cave card found in Marianna
    By bgillespie82 in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 04:53 AM
  2. NSS-CDS Full Cave Card
    By Cave Ranger in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 06:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts