Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Citra, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    70

    Default

    If anyone has any pictures of echinoids from the springs I would be happy to try and identify them. Keep checking the Invert. Paleo. website for updates. I am adding new photos of the museum collection weekly.

    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/

    Sean


  2. #22
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: Quick Science lesson sought regarding fossils in JB . .

    Quote Originally Posted by aw
    I'm no science buff. So help me out. The sea biscuit fossils (or whatever they are) that you see throughout JB, are they sea biscuits? Are the flat ones the same? What might their scientific names be? They are primarily saltwater creatures right (when they were alive, of course)? So, wouldn't this be evidence of when the earth was covered in seawater?

    Sorry for the dumb questions. I was talking to a non-diver about what I have seen and wanted to make sure I had the right info.
    i have a couple of hard copy publications from the florida paleontological society on florida fossil invertebrate...lots of sea biscuits, sand dollars and urchins.

    portell and oyen (2001) Eocene Echinoids and
    oyen and portell (2002) Oligocene and Miocene Echinoids

    bill

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citracaver
    If anyone has any pictures of echinoids from the springs I would be happy to try and identify them. Keep checking the Invert. Paleo. website for updates. I am adding new photos of the museum collection weekly.

    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/

    Sean
    I shall try and take a few when I'm down there in a couple of weeks.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts