Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default Renters Insurance -- Any Advice?

    Guys:

    I recently double checked the limits of my Renters' Insurance. What I've found out is that because my SCUBA gear is considered "sports equipment" the maximum amount any insurer would cover is only $25k. I called 6 or 7 people and they all tell me pretty much the same thing.

    Does anyone know of a better coverage? Thanks in advance for your help.


  2. #2
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    You should be able to request to add an itemized rider of some type with specific values.At least i would think so... its what I did on my homeowners policy.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    On my home insurance, my equipment is insured up to the value of the house without limits.
    Mind u this is not renters insurance and that is in Canada

    As Tegg said, u might be able to buy supplements


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Its so simple. Just give all of your dive gear to me. I will then loan it back to you. If it gets stolen, then it won't be your gear that is stolen, so you do not need insurance.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Not all renter's insurance is the same. Different companies, different rules.

    That being said, most insurance companies will only cover "sports equipment" up to a certain percentage of the TOTAL insurance policy.

    For me to get my dive and photo equipment covered, I had to purchase a "slightly" larger insurance policy than I needed when I was renting. In order to get an adequate coverage amount for "sports equipment".

    You may have to shop around a few carriers.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Largo, FL USA
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    That being said, most insurance companies will only cover "sports equipment" up to a certain percentage of the TOTAL insurance policy.
    If you convince them you're in it for the fashion, maybe they'll cover most of it as clothing.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
    If you convince them you're in it for the fashion, maybe they'll cover most of it as clothing.

    Have you seen me in a wetsuit? That's not a fashion statement- it's the opening scene of a horror movie!

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


 

Similar Threads

  1. DAN Insurance or Other?
    By skip in forum Polls
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
  2. Insurance
    By Leam in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
  3. Gear Insurance
    By tomhauburn in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts