Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 131
  1. #101
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1997 View Post
    I will not take students less than 12 for a multitude of reasons,foremost the lack of understanding of the reality of death or serious injury that may result from not following the rules(this is not a video game where you hit reset).
    My shop owner, who has been teaching for over forty years, agrees with you 10,000 percent.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  2. #102

    Default

    gsxr1997,


    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1997 View Post
    "As far as my comment - I do not have to accept any student I feel is not capable of diving safely. NAUI may have set minimum standards 10 but ,unlike other agencies,I make the final determination"
    ........


    as far as the standards I 100% agree with you, its up to the instructor to further evaluate all students regardless if they meet all the criteria. to include metal state. but I think that this is pre judging like saying I wont teach somebody because of there race. why not have an open mind and meet with the parents of an 10-11 year old child?
    the way I see it you mite better educate the parents so they can make a more informed decision rather than run down the road to another shop, if that child is truly not ready.
    as an instructor your job is to educate new divers. so by showing your knowledge you mite have a chance to win the business of the parents and maybe the kid at a later date. there for creating a win win situation.

    Last edited by Sludge; 01-28-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fix quote

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    561

    Default

    C'mon Russell..... you know it's killing you!!!


  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branson MO
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Umm I was 8 when I got my first cert and 12 when I got my ADV, but back then it was differant. My OW would be considereed todays ADV class. Each person is a case bye case basis.

    SLIM


  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    High Springs,Fl.
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Bix View Post
    C'mon Russell..... you know it's killing you!!!
    I know it's killing me! However, my metal state is becoming increasingly rusty.

    " My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Venice,Fl
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plapin View Post
    gsxr1997,


    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1997 View Post
    "As far as my comment - I do not have to accept any student I feel is not capable of diving safely. NAUI may have set minimum standards 10 but ,unlike other agencies,I make the final determination"
    ........


    as far as the standards I 100% agree with you, its up to the instructor to further evaluate all students regardless if they meet all the criteria. to include metal state. but I think that this is pre judging like saying I wont teach somebody because of there race. why not have an open mind and meet with the parents of an 10-11 year old child?
    the way I see it you mite better educate the parents so they can make a more informed decision rather than run down the road to another shop, if that child is truly not ready.
    as an instructor your job is to educate new divers. so by showing your knowledge you mite have a chance to win the business of the parents and maybe the kid at a later date. there for creating a win win situation.
    plapin - I see now how this conversation has been redirected at me and my teaching ethics- thats ok, I have broad shoulders
    I will expand on what I have previously stated. I DO counsel the parents. citing bone development, lung development, and overall fitness to dive both physical and psychological. I also impress upon the parents that there may be a junior open water certification card,but the requirements to earn that card are no different than that of a standard open water certification. academic and water skills are not reduced.
    If they still persist in obtaining instruction, I refer them to other NAUI instructors who will accept 10-11 year olds.
    as I said in my initial post "I personallywill not not train any student less than 12 years of age"
    As a free American,within the guidelines of my certifying agency and the law,I will exercise my right to make the choices as to who, what ,when ,and where I train students and will not apologize to anyone for my decision.

    anything else you would like to know?

    Last edited by Sludge; 01-28-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: fix quote

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    10 year olds make great cavern divers, dad will do great things with the doppler system and everyone should chastise themselves for questioning his judgement. Clearly he has everything under control and folks online are just mean bullies.

    I was personally won over by the deep insights, calm demeanor and rigid logic in his response.

    I apologize to everyone; especially skip, for being a man, apparently white and having testosterone. I forgot about the guilt I should feel for things I have no control over.


  8. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Venice,Fl
    Posts
    133

    Default

    And of course I understand the need to derail this thread given the personal connection you have with the subject in question...
    PLAPIN....
    http://uscavedivingteam.com/?page_id=82


  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    From what I've been told, the subjects in question have decided the thread should be removed, and are seeking out an attorney. I guess see something say something can land you in court :-o

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  10. #110
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    It would be interesting to get this event to be documented in a legal deposition from Marty and Spring, wouldn't it?

    Not to sure that is a good idea if they want a positive outcome... Thoughts?

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eagles Nest.
    By TN in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM
  2. Eagles Nest 6/4/11
    By hhn_caver in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM
  3. Eagles Nest???
    By HoosierDaddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
  4. eagles nest
    By curator in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts