Hey Ken,
I understand that LEO's don't have the time and/or manpower to await divers to check cred's, and I don't expect them to...they have better things to do.
I understand and do try and try to "educate" uninformed divers to seek appropriate training, but like I asked, who would I report an incident or known case of un-cert'd divers diving caves? I honestly don't know who to report it to. At places like Ginnie, it's obvious, but what about Little River?
Somebody posted something about another minor diving at P1 & OG today...case in point they said they were going to report it but didn't get the fathers name. If there is no Ranger on duty, who or where would one report it? I would, but where and to whom?
Return the favor Ken, the IUCRR should sue the estate for expenses of any recoveries it performs for Un-Certified divers in caves. I understand that this sounds cold hearted, but it makes a statement. I'm a truck driver, and a family sued a friend of mine who their family member used to hit head on to commit suicide. I told him to stand up for himself and counter-sue, the family was advised wisely by their attorney that they we going to lose badly if he proceeded and they immediately dropped their suit.
If there are no repercussions, besides the obvious perishing, there is nothing to stop this from continuing by the segment of society that thinks the rules don't apply to them, because there aren't any consequences. These people don't think dying is one, because they don't plan to die...but if they were going to lose their gear if someone reports them they may reconsider. In order for there to be consequences for their actions, we need to create them. Without creating meaningful consequences, quite frankly we are enabling them and it probably won't stop. This is the only way to get through to this mindset segment of society...
Edited to add...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the IUCRR should go suing every family of divers that it does recoveries of. I'm saying that if the families of the victims were informed that their loved ones disregarded warning signs, training that says not to enter overheads, etc. and they willingly did anyhow that it is not the fault of the NACD, NSS-CDS, IANTD, TDI, GUE, etc. and their instructors, as the proper training is available. Their loved ones violated every training agencies "rules" and if they choose to file suit when the fault is clear, that the IUCRR will protect its fellow agencies and file suit for recovery expenses. If the family accepts the violators consequences, then it is a volunteer service provided at no cost.


Reply With Quote

Bookmarks