Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wakulla Springs

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakulla County, Florida
    Posts
    240

    Default Wakulla Springs

    If you want to dive Wakulla, now is the time to make it happen. We have a voice and it is strong. It will take this voice to make it happen. Regardless of the past or what has occurred, Wakulla Springs is a public property held under the policy of equal access yet it is guarded under selective discrimination. They say it is too environmentally impacting on the site yet over 500 people a day swim there while stomping in and out of the water. They dive from a unnatural concrete platform yet the DEP states it is a natural place. They allow select teams to dive yet speak of diving as a disruption. Diving is diving and regardless of the reason, one is no more detrimental to the environment than the other.
    The time to voice your opinion is now. It was done in 2012 but failed due to unity we now have. It has been proven access can be obtained by the 11 sites I now manage on private lands. Wakulla is public and is less accessible then the private sites. I have tried reason and it only results in excuses to deny access. I ask for access to lesser sites but was denied for the same excuses. The gloves are off now and Wakulla is the site of choice. We are already accessing many of the sites the DEP keeps closed from other points of entry so why would the state keep access closed? Why not open up and allow diving and make the money the state needs to operate. This unequal access is not what Florida is about. We are a state of tourism. Just imagine if Mexico denied divers access like DEP does. Mexico would be a barren wasteland lacking revenue just like Wakulla County.
    I encourage everyone to write to Donald Forgione to offer your opinion as to why we as cave divers are no different than the other visitors to that park every day. We are certainly no different than the other divers who just dove there on December the 6th-8th, 2013. If you do nothing else for the promotion of cave diving this year then do this. Send an email to [email protected] and let him know discrimination is no longer acceptable under a policy of equal access.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Sent my email off tonight. I let him know how much we spend each month on dive trips and that we'd love to spend that money in Wakulla. Cave divers as a whole care more about the health of Florida's Springs than any other groups. Let us help Wakulla by letting us dive it!


  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAMacLeod View Post
    . Cave divers as a whole care more about the health of Florida's Springs than any other groups.
    Not intended as a hijack,but the irony is we care about the health of Florida's springs,but as a group we are the least informed,and least proactive. The National Garden Club with a chapter in the Ocala area know far more than most cave divers, and are very proactive and involved.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Not intended as a hijack,but the irony is we care about the health of Florida's springs,but as a group we are the least informed,and least proactive. The National Garden Club with a chapter in the Ocala area know far more than most cave divers, and are very proactive and involved.
    My husband and I are professional horticulturists by trade. During consulting, we recommend plants/trees/palms that use low volumes of water and install irrigation systems that use micro-jet irrigation. We don't install just native plants, we also test grow hundreds of species new to the trade to determine how well they fit in with Florida's environment--the flora and the fauna. We only use fertilizer when absolutely needed and do not over-fertilize. We never recommend sod. It uses far too much water and requires far too much fertilizer and care. Why put in sod when one can install a ground-cover that requires no fertilizer, very little water, and no mowing? We don't care what the HOA's say...in Florida they can no longer mandate that a certain percentage of sod be used or what type can be used. We may not yet reside in north Florida, yet we do what we can here in south Florida to assist in caring for the aquifer.


  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAMacLeod View Post
    My husband and I are professional horticulturists by trade. During consulting, we recommend plants/trees/palms that use low volumes of water and install irrigation systems that use micro-jet irrigation. We don't install just native plants, we also test grow hundreds of species new to the trade to determine how well they fit in with Florida's environment--the flora and the fauna. We only use fertilizer when absolutely needed and do not over-fertilize. We never recommend sod. It uses far too much water and requires far too much fertilizer and care. Why put in sod when one can install a ground-cover that requires no fertilizer, very little water, and no mowing? We don't care what the HOA's say...in Florida they can no longer mandate that a certain percentage of sod be used or what type can be used. We may not yet reside in north Florida, yet we do what we can here in south Florida to assist in caring for the aquifer.
    Great job!
    I attended a symposium recently which was composed of a lot of grass root efforts to deal with issues involving springs and the aquifer. Everyone brought something to the table,but I was amazed to see a local chapter of a national garden club on the agenda-what could they bring to the discussion? They were very actively involved as a group in the protection of springs and the aquifer,and understood the issues very well. The irony is that a group we would stereotypically think would have more concern for pesticide for the roses,knew a lot about springs; while cave divers who you think would understand the issues in the state of Florida and be strongly proactive,aren't as a whole.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAMacLeod View Post
    My husband and I are professional horticulturists by trade. During consulting, we recommend plants/trees/palms that use low volumes of water and install irrigation systems that use micro-jet irrigation. We don't install just native plants, we also test grow hundreds of species new to the trade to determine how well they fit in with Florida's environment--the flora and the fauna. We only use fertilizer when absolutely needed and do not over-fertilize. We never recommend sod. It uses far too much water and requires far too much fertilizer and care. Why put in sod when one can install a ground-cover that requires no fertilizer, very little water, and no mowing? We don't care what the HOA's say...in Florida they can no longer mandate that a certain percentage of sod be used or what type can be used. We may not yet reside in north Florida, yet we do what we can here in south Florida to assist in caring for the aquifer.
    I agree. I used to be the director of the Brevard chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society. I don't think all cave divers are "least informed and least proactive". In fact, I take a little offense at that. The truth is we have many varied interests, obligations and goals. Personally, I'd love to get up every morning and tilt at the government windmills. But I have to run a company in Maryland, there are famlies depending on their jobs. If I ever get to retire I'll be the first one hanging out at the DEP demanding access, diving in caves every day and cleaning up sites at night. But like most of the others here, I'm assuming, we have to feed and shelter ourselves and our loved ones. Bummer for us, I guess.

    Bob K

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Good Lord, nobody want to dive Wakulla?

    Plants?


  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't think all cave divers are "least informed and least proactive". In fact, I take a little offense at that. The truth is we have many varied interests, obligations and goals. .
    There are some cave divers that are very involved,for example Jill Heinerth with "We are water",and Annette Long with "Save Our Suwannee". So you are right I can't even infer all,but a majority of the cave diving population really don't know the issues or are involved to fix the problems that will ultimately have an impact on their recreational access to sites. One reason I make the comment is that there are grass root groups that have tried to involve the cave diving community since they know the springs are integral to our recreation,but are surprised at the anemic response they get. I am thankful for the efforts of the people who have been involved in the process to a greater extent than I ever can,and I will support them with my dead presidents.

    Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 01-06-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. Wakulla Springs
    By RN in forum Conservation
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
  2. News on Wakulla Springs
    By NorthWoodsDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
  3. wakulla springs - documentary
    By johnny boy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts