Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 124
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakulla County, Florida
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Nanny might have said if youre gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. But Ron White says "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!"


  2. #12
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Maybe they should put up a sign that says you should be trained in cave diving before diving there.

    Oh, wait.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bpcfire1 View Post
    Can it be possible to get with the certifying orgs and dd a small part of the safety of cave diving. Maybe add Lamar's video, some real world incidents, and other info during the OW/AOW classes...I know in mine, we talked about a brief incident and pretty much, don't go in caves. Maybe adding something could help. The problem I have seen, is the instructors are taking the students beyond the limits themselves. Until this stops to begin with, we will get no where.
    I didn't even know what " overhead" meant after my OW class.

    Tracy
    US Army Maj (ret)

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Maybe they should put up a sign that says you should be trained in cave diving before diving there.

    Oh, wait.
    Yeah that would never work….. Especially when you have individuals that have a history of ignoring the rules and perpetually making one bad decision after another. I for one, am burning all my dive gear and cutting up the thousands of dollars worth of certification cards I have……. I had no idea this stuff could be so dangerous !!!!! NOT !!!!

    TJ (2)
    When I get out of cavediving, it will be to learn how to use a walker FW

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Marianna Fl
    Age
    31
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
    I didn't even know what " overhead" meant after my OW class.
    Same here, the word cave was never used during my open water class. He mainly stressed "the bends".

    We can not direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
    I didn't even know what " overhead" meant after my OW class.

    It's your instructors. That are to blame. Most don't talk about overheads. Because they are not able to dive them. I was in a shop recently and a guy told he was going to Mexico to dive and had already signed up to dive cenotes. I ask him if they took you into cave and he said they did. I ask about certs and he was PADI OW. His instructor was standing there and said nothing. I ask him to not go into the caves and he just giggled and said he's done it a number of times. I ask the instructor if he talked about overheads and he said just shipwrecks. He said it was
    Ok to follow a guide because they were probably divemasters and they were pros. I tried to explain to him about overheads and the training but be told me I'm not a dive professional and don't understand that a divemaster has the ability to dive guide lower certs if he has the cert to do the dive. I had to leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ocala fl
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Sorry for being so abrasive..... But ...JEEEEEEEEZZZZ


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland FL
    Posts
    750

    Default

    You are exactly right..it starts with the Instructors. If they break the rules, the students will to.

    BRANDON

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Posts
    191

    Default

    First of all let me say I'm not an insensitive person. As I've read all the posts and news reports over the last couple days I've had to hold myself back. Eric and Matt, my heart goes out to you for having to leave your families for this on Christmas day. You both have some major good Karma coming your way. I also feel for the family in this case. It's a sad situation that so many people have to pay (including a 15 year old kid) for the actions of this one irresponsible individual. Now we have a call (fostered by the typically ill informed news media) to close the cave because one person made more bad decisions than can be imagined. To this I can only say leave it alone! At risk of being insensitive- http://www.darwinawards.com/

    R B

    www.floridadiveconnection.com

    "The life so short, the craft so long to learn" - Chaucer

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    346

    Default

    John Brown, my YMCA OW instructor, hammered the point, "Do not enter an environment you have not been trained for." When I wanted to dive a cenote, I got myself cavern certified. I was a bit shocked to find that most of the people in our guided group were only OW certified.
    I like Superlyte's idea of an attention-grabbing warning video for OW instructors to show. I just hope they show it. I would be willing to contribute a modest sum to production costs.
    It might help folks with minimal cave training if the sign at EN defined an advanced cave dive.

    "I like to do dangerous things safely."


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eagle's Nest, 2/28/12
    By WJH in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
  2. Eagle's Nest
    By phreaticus in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM
  3. Eagle's Nest 2
    By Walter Pickel in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts