Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 102
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatcampbellkid View Post
    Does anyone know if the IUCRR has any decals or stickers with their contact information, something like DAN's? I've talked to a few others and thought it might be a good idea to grab or make a couple.

    John
    GOOGLE IUCRR! Is fast and efficient and up to date for world wide contact!

    /Ken Hill

    “Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it.” Ayn Rand

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cerich View Post
    Matt, how many teams can boast what you just did? Less than a half dozen...worldwide?
    Chris,

    I know of four on the western U.S. I am sure there are others out there, but quite frankly the problem is FEMA. FEMA does a poor job of having a database for PSD teams and resource typing. I go over this extensively with the Teams I teach to. I do not know what PSD agency you teach for, but the two that I teach for, allow me to discuss this issue when setting up a team. Without boring the populus of the forum, I won't go into it. A team must have an overall goal and build toward that goal. That is exactly how our team did it. Again, the only reason I disagreed with you is because there are teams out there that can handle it. PM and I would love to share ideas. We all can learn from one another.

    Matt


  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Ken,
    With respect I really think you like to write a bouncy of words without saying anything. Florida constitution article 1 sec 23 provides for the right to privacy from governmental intrusion in their private life. Nothing in this section shall limit the right to public information. All we are saying is to release the report when it becomes public record.


  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    Ken,
    With respect I really think you like to write a bouncy of words without saying anything. Florida constitution article 1 sec 23 provides for the right to privacy from governmental intrusion in their private life. Nothing in this section shall limit the right to public information. All we are saying is to release the report when it becomes public record.
    File for a FOIA yourself! I'm not here to be bouncy, I'm here to oversee a Rescue /Recovery organization. I'm certainly not here to feed your needs, give you advice or argue the Florida constitution. Have a Happy New Year!

    /Ken Hill

    “Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it.” Ayn Rand

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    File for a FOIA yourself! I'm not here to be bouncy, I'm here to oversee a Rescue /Recovery organization. I'm certainly not here to feed your needs, give you advice or argue the Florida constitution. Have a Happy New Year!
    Totally agree Ken, anyone who has been cave diving for more than a month is well aware that the IUCRR won't give ANY information to the cave community. Suggesting otherwise is just silly.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    GOOGLE IUCRR! Is fast and efficient and up to date for world wide contact!
    Ken,
    I first opted to PM you regarding updating my information for IUCRR and the outdated information on the IUCRR website however you seem more apt to respond to board postings so here it is. The Florida regional coordinator is still listed as Larry Green. As I mentioned in my PM Larry has called me for recoveries in the past however as we are friends and stay in contact I know he is no longer diving or spending much of his time with diving concerns. Understandable and nothing towards Larry yet I doubt he is the best contact for the state that has the most incidents compared to the rest of the U.S. combined. The back ups are John Orlowski and Bill Rennaker. John does not live in the state any longer and does not dive for health reasons. Bill does not dive for health reasons and the last time I spoke with him regarding a voice mail that was left on my phone about a recovery he told me I needed to speak to Larry because he does not get involved with recoveries anymore. That was around five years ago which resulted in a 5 hour lapse before the recovery could be executed as the team waited for Brent to drive up from his home when I was 15 minutes away and could not reach Larry on his cell phone.

    If I never do another recovery that is all good with me. However you talk about making a team, a few making noise that aren't willing to get involved, etc. and I am willing to give my time when needed. From this "outsiders" view there are a good number of things that need to be worked on. IMHO making comments about divers that made a successful recovery should probably be last on your list of things to do. When Edd and I went into JB on the last rescue when Edd brought the diver out alive we had about 30 seconds of conversation. In that time we set our plan and how I would support him as well as the other people involved on the surface. We made our calls and did the best with the situation at hand as I believe the team did with the EN recovery.

    Bobby

    The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

    Local Zip Code Diver

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lemont,Il
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Does HIPAA cover deceased individuals?

    HIM-HIPAA Insider, August 2, 2002


    Q: Question of the Week: Do all of HIPAA's privacy protections and requirements extend to deceased individuals?

    A: Yes. You must comply with the regulations for protected health information (PHI) of a deceased person the same way you would for living persons. The rules are in effect for as long as you maintain the information.

    If you need an authorization, you must obtain it from the personal representative of the dead patient, which may be an executor, administrator, or other person with authority to act on behalf of a deceased individual or the individual's estate. The personal representative is entitled to request access in the same way the individual would, and you must grant access to the personal representative if you would grant it to the individual.


  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    I can see Ken's point about the privacy thing. Heck, I saw a company get threatened to be sued because they told a guy on the phone employee "X" had been sick a few days and was at the doctor today and missed work. His privacy was violated.
    OK, you can't say someone has a cold now...........YIKES

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Ken,
    I first opted to PM you regarding updating my information for IUCRR and the outdated information on the IUCRR website however you seem more apt to respond to board postings so here it is. The Florida regional coordinator is still listed as Larry Green. As I mentioned in my PM Larry has called me for recoveries in the past however as we are friends and stay in contact I know he is no longer diving or spending much of his time with diving concerns. Understandable and nothing towards Larry yet I doubt he is the best contact for the state that has the most incidents compared to the rest of the U.S. combined. The back ups are John Orlowski and Bill Rennaker. John does not live in the state any longer and does not dive for health reasons. Bill does not dive for health reasons and the last time I spoke with him regarding a voice mail that was left on my phone about a recovery he told me I needed to speak to Larry because he does not get involved with recoveries anymore. That was around five years ago which resulted in a 5 hour lapse before the recovery could be executed as the team waited for Brent to drive up from his home when I was 15 minutes away and could not reach Larry on his cell phone.

    If I never do another recovery that is all good with me. However you talk about making a team, a few making noise that aren't willing to get involved, etc. and I am willing to give my time when needed. From this "outsiders" view there are a good number of things that need to be worked on. IMHO making comments about divers that made a successful recovery should probably be last on your list of things to do. When Edd and I went into JB on the last rescue when Edd brought the diver out alive we had about 30 seconds of conversation. In that time we set our plan and how I would support him as well as the other people involved on the surface. We made our calls and did the best with the situation at hand as I believe the team did with the EN recovery.

    I rec'd your PM sent on the 30th and as you say Larry has had a tough year and I hope this one is better for him. If you've been called repeatedly, it seemed to me you were on his list so I couldn't quite make out the point of your email. The JB rescue was nice work and you made the point I've been trying to make about the importance of a plan and surface support. This is something that comes easy to people that have dove together and trust each other as opposed to divers attempting a recovery that have little or no knowledge of each others in water skills.

    Your support team and your buddy is something you must be comfortable with. Your surface support RRSOM has to know when to put divers in the water when it's thought you may be in trouble. This has been done several times to the extent the support team took over in doing the extraction on more than one occasion.

    Lamar makes the point in class that you have to know and trust your partner with your life. When he is exiting with the remains, the lead diver is tethered to the remains and stays in contact with the guideline NO MATTER WHAT. Lamar has to physically control the towed body with both hands using his skills and buoyancy. Vis is often limited or "0" and he has no contact with the guideline.

    My responsibility is to the recovery divers, ensuring their safety is the my number one priority and the policy of the IUCRR. It can't be a race when time is not of the essence.

    Lastly, I received one very supportive PM telling me that a few posts directed to the IUCRR were made by folks who have what I call a "hankerin to be contrary!" I appreciated you leaving your name and phone number and email as opposed to some who for all I knew could be working a personal injury lawyer or for the TAMPA BAY TIMES.

    Happy New Year.

    /Ken Hill

    “Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it.” Ayn Rand

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Ken,
    As I thought I pointed out in my PM and post I wanted to ensure that you had my contact information in case you needed it. I also wanted to point out that the IUCRR website is NOT up to date having Larry, John, & Bill as the contact points for the FL region. If the system does not work properly it makes no sense to expect people to use the system or to admonish them for not using it. Larry, John, & Bill are not in a position to be responsive regarding the IUCRR so a new coordinator and back up people need to be put in place for the Florida region.

    This is a discussion, that I felt, did not need to be handled on the CDF. That is also why I sent you my contact information.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

    Bobby

    The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

    Local Zip Code Diver


 

Similar Threads

  1. IUCRR Incident Reports
    By Walter Pickel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
  2. Eagle's Nest
    By fireman cave in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
  3. Eagle's Nest
    By Shadowjack in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
  4. Eagle's Nest 2
    By Walter Pickel in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts