Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    99

    Default Need for recompression chambers

    "Paramedics airlifted the man to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, then to an Augusta, Ga., facility with a decompression chamber."

    I wonder why he had to be moved to Georgia when there is a hyperbaric chamber in Tallahassee.


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinc View Post
    "Paramedics airlifted the man to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, then to an Augusta, Ga., facility with a decompression chamber."

    I wonder why he had to be moved to Georgia when there is a hyperbaric chamber in Tallahassee.
    Bingo-I asked that same question!!!! If Tallahassee isn't recompressing divers we are in big trouble. Shands quit recompressing divers and sends them to Tallahassee. If they don't any more then,****,we have a big problem.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Occupied maybe?


  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Occupied maybe?
    That is possible,or maybe they get a percent of the airlift at around 17k. I am very pessimisitic knowing the state of the chamber situation in Florida,and I am hoping that the bottom line CFOs haven't declared recompressing divers as nonprofitable enough. Too bad for the victim,100 miles north of Tallahassee at Pheobe Putney in Albany,there is a chamber with a top notch recompression doc.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Weatherford Tx
    Posts
    291

    Default

    The chamber was in working order this summer. I know someone that used it and took a tour of it. Must have been occupied

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

    "cave diving on CCR is like trusting an iphones maps to get you to your first date.... A Pain to setup, but a rush when pulling through tight spaces so far from home"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Too bad for the victim,100 miles north of Tallahassee at Pheobe Putney in Albany,there is a chamber with a top notch recompression doc.
    Good point Kelly. With Jackson Blue being N. of Marianna my drive time which is just N of Albany is around two hours. And when the Dr. stopped by the Dive Shop it was my understanding he is associated with DAN.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDiver View Post
    Good point Kelly. With Jackson Blue being N. of Marianna my drive time which is just N of Albany is around two hours. And when the Dr. stopped by the Dive Shop it was my understanding he is associated with DAN.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The doctor there used to be the chamber doc at Jacksonville,FL,and has a lot of diver experience. I was pleased with my experience with them,not very pleased at getting the hospital to understand DAN insurance and bill for it.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    The doctor there used to be the chamber doc at Jacksonville,FL,and has a lot of diver experience. I was pleased with my experience with them,not very pleased at getting the hospital to understand DAN insurance and bill for it.
    Last time I was a the chamber with the local dive club here, we were told no diver recompression, chamber was for wound care and other scheduled things, but they would not recompress divers


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Age
    67
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I saw in the last issue of Alert Diver that DAN was trying to help with the diver recompression chamber issue.
    I think it is a start.

    Some of the things listed were:

    A List of chambers that are available for diver recompression.
    Medical call in support for those chambers
    Some funding for chambers?
    more streamlined payment from DAN to recompression chambers

    I know I would like to see the list of available chambers closest to where I go diving.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    I recently (this past Sunday night) had a DCS scare and while working with DAN, I was told that the Tallahassee chamber is currently closed but should reopen very soon. There are many chambers around including at least 2 in Gainesville but as pointed out earlier, are not available for divers. The closest currently available to Ginnie is in Orlando. Thankfully I did not go to Orlando but the hospital I was in verified that this was the closest.

    ----
    Cave Mann


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts