Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Do You have DAN Insurance or Similar?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • DAN Basic

    6 6.67%
  • Dan Best

    72 80.00%
  • Other, but similar

    7 7.78%
  • No Cave Diving Insurance

    5 5.56%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    I would love to hear about people who have used DAN in the last 5 years. I have heard there are issues with coverage and payment to facilities and I am concerned that the money I have paid and I am paying would be for nothing in the end.
    I was diving with someone who got bent around 3 years ago. DAN had called ahead to Shands, gotten the hospital staff ready (some were on call) so that there was no waiting when we got there. I believe he said that DAN covered everything.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    For the Tricare people, it's my understanding that if ANY other insurance exists, Tricare becomes secondary. Is this true? Does that mean as I think it does that you are then counting on DAN as opposed to Tricare, Tricare can wash their hands of the event? Am I not better off with Tricare and not having DAN at all? If no, then why not?


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC/TCI-Provo
    Posts
    629

    Default

    I've had Dive Assure and DAN at different levels throught the years. Luckily, neither I nor my buddies have needed it but we always carry it.

    Currently I have the DAN minimum as I am not flying anywhere anytime soon and just need any potential chamber rides covered here in the US.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Although I am not a cave diver, yet, I do have DAN for diving away from home. I had some insight into DAN from a couple of years ago when a couple of people I know had an accident. DAN appeared to be helpful, even after that fact in dealing with some claims, although there was some of the typical paper work issues, however claims were paid without much issue, and there was some payout for lost equipement. From my understand of at the time of the accident, DAN was good to making sure arrangements for medical care and treatment were taken care of very quickly, a helicopter on stand-by, and transport to a chamber.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Holly, NC
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    For the Tricare people, it's my understanding that if ANY other insurance exists, Tricare becomes secondary. Is this true? Does that mean as I think it does that you are then counting on DAN as opposed to Tricare, Tricare can wash their hands of the event? Am I not better off with Tricare and not having DAN at all? If no, then why not?
    That is my understanding of how Tricare works and they strongly try to get the service member to buy additional insurance. I only get dental from work. I will not even think about buying additional insurance until congress does! And even then I more than likely will not.

    "...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I bought DAN basic insurance while I was still in my open water class. After becoming a PADI Master SCUBA diver 20 years ago, I switched to DAN Preferred insurance. I have had it ever since.

    "I like to do dangerous things safely."

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Open water buddy in Cozumel got bent, three days in the chamber, had to stay over an extra week with his wife, and DAN covered it all, extended condo, expenses, additional airfare home, chamber, doctors, etc. He didn't pay one more thing than he already had for the week long vacation, and his wife stayed too. Can't beat that. Dan Premium for me.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  8. #18
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Coast of Arizona
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    For the Tricare people, it's my understanding that if ANY other insurance exists, Tricare becomes secondary. Is this true? Does that mean as I think it does that you are then counting on DAN as opposed to Tricare, Tricare can wash their hands of the event? Am I not better off with Tricare and not having DAN at all? If no, then why not?
    DAN is secondary insurance. The two would battle it out.

    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    It is called socialism.
    And I was going to say it sucks, but I'll just say it's un-American.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    DAN is secondary insurance. The two would battle it out.
    I believe DAN is secondary, but I believe Tricare thinks they are also secondary. I think they would be battling it out, leaving me stuck with the tab. I'm REAL sure I read that if ANY additional insurance exists, Tricare becomes secondary. It's the reason I like Tony haven't bought additional insurance.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Insurance
    By Leam in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
  2. Dan insurance
    By bullfrog in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  3. Gear Insurance
    By tomhauburn in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts