Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1

    Default Called the dive before the dive.

    Yesterday, I made the 2 plus hour drive down to Roubidoux (Waynesville, Mo) to get in a cave dive. I got to the site before my buddy, and started to assemble my gear, in side mount configuration. I brought my first LP95 down to the water, and did a surface bubble check, and sure enough, I had bubbles coming from the port on my 1st stage where my LP inflator hose attached. I took the hose off, and double checked the o-ring, checked the threads for any issues there, and put it back on. Still had bubbles. I swapped out my LP hose, and yet still had bubbles. I then moved the hose to the other side of my 1st stage, and put in a port plug, and that port was still leaking. I decided to take a break from it, and put together my stage and o2 bottle while thinking about my 1st stage issue. As I put my o2 bottle in the water, my reg started to free flow. I tried to make some adjustments on it, but it kept free flowing. Now, I have this personal rule of mine, 2 gear malfunctions, and I call it a day. I was at my limit, so I packed up my gear and called it a day. My buddy got to the dive site, shortly after I began packing up. I explained to him what happened, and he started with well, we could try this, or maybe we could do that. I explained I had my own personal rule, and I wasn't going to force the situation. It just wasn't meant to be on this day. The whole reason I am telling this story is to remind everyone the golden rule, that any one can call any dive at any time for any reason. Even if you aren't in the water yet.

    Insert something witty and creative here_________________________.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiverbob View Post
    Yesterday, I made the 2 plus hour drive down to Roubidoux to get in a cave dive. I got to the site before my buddy, and started to assemble my gear, in side mount configuration. I brought my first LP95 down to the water, and did a surface bubble check, and sure enough, I had bubbles coming from the port on my 1st stage where my LP inflator hose attached. I took the hose off, and double checked the o-ring, checked the threads for any issues there, and put it back on. Still had bubbles. I swapped out my LP hose, and yet still had bubbles. I then moved the hose to the other side of my 1st stage, and put in a port plug, and that port was still leaking. I decided to take a break from it, and put together my stage and o2 bottle while thinking about my 1st stage issue. As I put my o2 bottle in the water, my reg started to free flow. I tried to make some adjustments on it, but it kept free flowing. Now, I have this personal rule of mine, 2 gear malfunctions, and I call it a day. I was at my limit, so I packed up my gear and called it a day. My buddy got to the dive site, shortly after I began packing up. I explained to him what happened, and he started with well, we could try this, or maybe we could do that. I explained I had my own personal rule, and I wasn't going to force the situation. It just wasn't meant to be on this day. The whole reason I am telling this story is to remind everyone the golden rule, that any one can call any dive at any time for any reason. Even if you aren't in the water yet.
    At least you checked them before you suited up. I am bad about lying tanks at the water's edge, and don't check for leaks until I am actually in the water. I hate to think of how many times I have had to get out of my gear, and go back to the car to get a spare reg, etc. FWIW, if I call a dive, there isn't much that can make me change my mind.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Amen! I was diving a few weeks ago (open water) with a buddy that was new to me; and relatively new to diving. We were buddied up on a spearfishing liveaboard since we were the only two not spear fishing. She had some issues on a couple of the dives, one of which really unnerved her. I did my best to calm her, get her back to the boat, and enlisted the aid of the crew to get her out of the water and back in the boat ASAP. After she was calmed down and thinking clearly she started apologizing to me for causing the dive to be cut short, and skipping the second dive. I stopped her in her tracks and told her no apologies will be accepted as there is absolutely no reason to apologize in the first place. I explained to her the Golden Rule and told her it was not more important, but just as important as never holding your breath. She was speechless. The trip leader on the boat, also a cave diver chimed in when she started to apologize again and laughed gesturing towards me, "Lori, how many dives have you called before?" And went on to tell her it was the rule and we stick to it.

    I got an email from her a few days after the trip thanking me for diving with her and also telling me "you are the best dive buddy EVER!" I gotta ask myself, who has she been diving with before??? smh

    Lori

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Couple years ago, came down to cave country from Buffalo, NY for cave training. After 4 days of training dives, I was going to do a couple more days of "fun" dives before returning to Buffalo.

    When I was younger, 6 consecutive days of diving was no-sweat. AND... when you have to travel 1,400 miles to see the caves, you try to pack as much diving in as possible.

    But when I was loading up my car in the morning, I realized my tail was already dragging. So I called my partner and invoked "Golden Rule". No apologies asked or given. I just didn't feel physically 100%, so I didn't dive.

    Since then, I always schedule at least 1 "dry day" in the middle of my vacation weeks.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    had the same happen to me last week, one little thing after another. called the dive.

    Chris Richardson

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Yup, it's good judgment to realize when today's not the right day. I missed two days of diving on our recent caving trip because I was sick. I could have pushed it, but cave diving is not the setting in which to push it.

    Years ago I used to deal with being sick by ignoring it. As a college student I spent a Christmas break working as a logger with a case of pneumonia, and I used to work on construction and ski patrol when I had bronchitis, gastroenteritis, or was just hung over. But that was when I was 20. Now at 55 I have more sense, or less grit.

    I also follow the rule of: 3 things go wrong while preparing for a cave dive = call the dive. Some days are just better spent on the surface.

    Mike


  7. #7
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Coast of Arizona
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I had a series of "all those little things that could go wrong". I took it as a hint that it wasn't my day to dive. God Bless Mike and Kevin for being the perfect buddies!

    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Over the years either me or my dive buddy have called the dive before it ever gets started for various reasons. One particular dive sticks with me. My dive buddy had stopped in Ashburn, Ga. at one of those Ride Share parking lots on Interstate 75 and picked me up. With gear loaded we headed South to Peacock Springs excited about the up coming dives.
    My son callers me and ask had we heard what was going on in New York? I said no we didn't have the radio on. With that information we stopped at a local truck stop and watched one of the towers fall. My dive parter was a fireman for the Perry fire department so neither one of us would have our heads thinking straight for a cave dive so we both mutually agreed to call the dive and head back home. This was 9-11


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


  9. #9

    Default

    I called a dive at Little River once at the surface. Gear issue too. Forgot my wetsuit in Clearwater.

    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    I called a dive at Little River once at the surface. Gear issue too. Forgot my wetsuit in Clearwater.
    Funny, I think it was last year at REACT that I realized my dry suit was in Albany, sent William back for it, he came back with the suit, but without the rock boots.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
  2. ABWA - Dive Report - One dive closer to cavern!
    By mwhities in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
  3. Whats it called??
    By bernieflyer in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts