Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: McBride

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    As a hunter, I can tell you they don't want anybody else in the woods when they are hunting. For one thing I'd hate to think my high powered cartridge could travel a half a mile or so and kill you as your gearing up, so I'd rather no one be where I don't know they are, at least on my property or property I lease.
    Responsible hunters know where the roads, houses etc. are and set up so they don't shoot in that direction. This is the responsible, nice hunters.
    Most of the rest of them just don't want you tromping around laughing, dragging tanks etc. and scaring game away.
    I think most think cave divers as some kind of mentally deficient folks, just like the general public, but really could care less if we killed ourselves or not, except that may interfere with their hunting, what with the Sheriff, body recovery and all.
    Find a way we can partner with them, like somehow or another protect their lease or something during non-hunting season, and I'd bet pretty soon they would be showing you suspected cave sights you never had any idea about.
    They just don't know us, if we show them that we aren't some kind of Bambi loving, tree hugging nuts from California, but are just regular people like them, and are willing to help where we can, and not get in their way it would work out.
    Thank you for this. I was gonna post somewhat the same thing. Just not as detailed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

    It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speleodiver View Post
    I'm not sure why hunters and divers do not get along. Many divers are hunters of some sort but we just can't speak the hunters hunting lingo. Well some of us can't anyway!
    Around Tallahassee site(s) have been lost due to divers being on property (with club permission) when someone decides to go poaching during the off season. That person then gets clever and tells the club BOD that they're worried about the "liability" of diving and we all loose access.

    Of course sneak diving likely doesn't help the situation.

    I'll be anxious to see if you get access to McBrides. I had a chat with the owner and he didn't seem to anxious to allow access, citing he was sued for someone jumping off the bridge drunk, and also said that divers stacked cement bags on the south side of the bridge to make the waterway navigable. I know Ben G chatted with him about it as well as a few others off and on with the same success.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Beautiful cave, very delicate, hope it doesn't become a free for all in there.
    Me too, I hope it doesn't turn into Cow or Ginnie.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Holly, NC
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    I need to get with Stece G, and start making the 144 square inches of hunter orange suits or full size hunter orange hoods

    "...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Weatherford Tx
    Posts
    291

    Default

    I am also concerned. Its really fragile with some tricky line situations that most tourist divers would not find inviting.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

    "cave diving on CCR is like trusting an iphones maps to get you to your first date.... A Pain to setup, but a rush when pulling through tight spaces so far from home"

  5. #15

    Default

    I have been in Mcbride half a dozen times in 2.5 years. It wasn't pristine the first time I visited but past the restriction to the Fortress of Solitude was mostly pristine. I have watched the site degrade rather rapidly. I'm all for access but I still wouldn't advertise it. If I controlled access I'd (probably) stipulate divers use sidemount too. The ceiling and floor have taken a real beating.

    It's a beautiful cave and worth the walk up river, for once I agree with Matt. Making it easier to get to will only invite more damage IMHO.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    I dont think it's a sidemount cave but I agree with everything else you said
    too much talk coming out of wakulla county lately


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    I think most (hunters) think cave divers as some kind of mentally deficient folks, just like the general public

    Are you implying we're NOT all mentally deficient?

    Personally, I never even CONSIDERED taking up cave diving until after my 3rd concussion.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts