Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73
  1. #61
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Mensa used to only take those with a genius-level IQ, which I believe is about one in ten thousand. I heard they now accept those who pass a test that you can study for. Wow.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Mensa used to only take those with a genius-level IQ, which I believe is about one in ten thousand. I heard they now accept those who pass a test that you can study for. Wow.
    When Alasdair and I joined, twenty and thirty years ago respectively, Mensa actually gave you your IQ score along with your percentile rating. We both ranked in the 99th percentile and both our scores are what would be considered genius level. (And by the way, yes, he did score higher than me--but only by 7 points. Of course in his defense, he did have a bad hangover while taking the test.) However, it now appears that Mensa no longer gives people their IQ scores and they only tell you if you've reached the 98th percentile to qualify for admission. Therefore, if the overall IQ of the population has fallen significantly, it would be possible to score at the 98th percentile of intelligence and still not be considered a genius. I would like to think that is not the case. GSchaut...what is your response to this since you're a proctor?


  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    470

    Default

    We're here from Mensa:



    This thread's been hijacked!

    Alasdair

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Mensa used to only take those with a genius-level IQ, which I believe is about one in ten thousand. I heard they now accept those who pass a test that you can study for. Wow.
    Sorry Sludge, you're probably thinking of the "triple nines".

    "Mensa was founded in England in 1946 by Roland Berrill, a barrister, and Dr. Lance Ware, a scientist and lawyer. They had the idea of forming a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership of which was a high IQ. The original aims were, as they are today, to create a society that is non-political and free from all racial or religious distinctions. The society welcomes people from every walk of life whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population, with the objective of enjoying each other's company and participating in a wide range of social and cultural activities."

    See also:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_IQ_society
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...phical_Enquiry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Nine_Society
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_Society
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Society

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Mensa used to only take those with a genius-level IQ, which I believe is about one in ten thousand. I heard they now accept those who pass a test that you can study for. Wow.
    Maybe part of the dumbing down of America...?
    Gary, what is the "average" IQ of a Mensa member?


  6. #66
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Yes, I obviously had no citations, just anecdotal ramblings.

    2%? What's the fun in that?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    And now that the Mense issue has been Flogged like the proverbial deceased equine... could we get back to the original question? We have to have a couple of lawyers on this board that Sludge doesn't want to kill. From a Criminal Compliant stand point. "intentional touching with out permission is Battery. But when does the threshold cross for the DM or Instructor that observes a dangerous activity allow or even compel them to act? If you are just a cave diver I don't think you EVER can lay hands on someone but if you are a DM on the NSS-CDS guide list or a Cave instructor you might be found culpable if you don't act.


  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    If you are just a cave diver I don't think you EVER can lay hands on someone but if you are a DM on the NSS-CDS guide list or a Cave instructor you might be found culpable if you don't act.
    That's kinda a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, at which point the only viable option would appear to be putting gates in where possible. Kinda like the one at Vortex Springs.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

    Last edited by Sludge; 09-19-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: fix quote

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    31

    Default



  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    http://fathomoz.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/vh-1.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyN View Post
    Hey all, I ran into a situation at Ginnie today where two OW divers were trying to enter the cave. The snorkels and dangling SPG's gave them away. At first they were at the cavern entrance but then they moved further in and were sitting down in the cavern blocking the exit watching me do deco. I moved out of the cavern and they were still sitting there waiting for me to leave and they continued to sit there while another team was exiting. When they thought all the cave divers had left on came the lights and down they went. I flashed them with my light, shook my finger in a "no no' type fashion and gave them the signal for up. They ignored me so I made sure I highlighted the grim reaper sign with my light. At that point I was preparing to follow them down into the cave. By that time another team was making their exit and I think they succeeded in flushing them out. Once I got out I told the cave police(Rick) and he went to look for them.

    Was this the best way to handle this situation? I certainly wasn't going to leave them down there and I didn't feel a more forceful urging would have been productive.

    Chris Richardson


 

Similar Threads

  1. Houston Area Cave Divers – Reminder! June 23, Cave Diver Day at Mammoth Lake!!
    By kotik in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  2. The Cave Divers
    By alanf in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
  3. Cave Conservation & Student Cave Divers
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts