Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 73
  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake MAry, FL
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Bix View Post
    Mike, Welcome to the board. With your permission I'd like to quote that in my signature line...
    No Problem T. Bix


    Mike S.
    www.scuba-blog.com
    Facebook.com/scubablog
    Pinterest.com/scubablog
    Twitter: @scuba_blog

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free


  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake MAry, FL
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Haha! Thank you all for the warm welcome!


    Mike S.
    www.scuba-blog.com
    Facebook.com/scubablog
    Pinterest.com/scubablog
    Twitter: @scuba_blog

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free


  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAMacLeod View Post
    When I took the tests in the 80's, I was told that only about one in ten make it in. When my husband took the tests in the early 90's, there were only five in attendance and were told that most likely none would be asked to join.
    I'm curious if this is a geographical issue or if the percentage has increased, possibly due to people preparing better for the tests or those taking the tests are more assured of their ability to make the necessary percentile? Could be an interesting article in a future bulletin.
    Of ALL members of the general public, 1 in 50 are eligible to join. But very few ever take the exam. Up here in Buffalo, NY we have a metro population of 1.2 million. So that's 24,000 eligible Mensans. But we've never had over 300 active members in the local chapter. Our exams typically draw only 2 to 6 people. And we see most of the exam applicants join for at least a year or two.

    I'm not sure if it "skews" our averages up here, but we do have a few major universities in the western NY area. We might have a higher pass rate due to the student population.

    Or... (insulting remark about Southern population deleted)

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  4. #54
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    I've put my HID in the mask of a kid being led into the eye by his father, and tried to have discussions with OW divers that I had seen in the cave. The last time the guy had a very crappy attitude, told me he was a commercial diver and knew what he was doing and threatened to kick my @$$. He did not see the Glock that I had on me. I just commented that his gear was so crappy that nobody would bother to pull him out, no incentive. I'm done trying to talk sense to people who won't listen and are volatile. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.


  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfascuba View Post
    I've put my HID in the mask of a kid being led into the eye by his father, and tried to have discussions with OW divers that I had seen in the cave. The last time the guy had a very crappy attitude, told me he was a commercial diver and knew what he was doing and threatened to kick my @$$. He did not see the Glock that I had on me. I just commented that his gear was so crappy that nobody would bother to pull him out, no incentive. I'm done trying to talk sense to people who won't listen and are volatile. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Why not put in the eyes of the father if he was leading him in? Hell if he was a commercial diver then he should know better than to go into place where you don't have the training.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2


  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquabot View Post
    Hell if he was a commercial diver then he should know better than to go into place where you don't have the training.
    He probably would if he was a real commercial diver, or maybe not.

    I know guys with basic OW certifications who tell anyone who will listen that they're "commercial divers", because once every couple of years somebody gives them $50.00 to recover a mooring, an outboard motor, or an ATV or snowmobile that went through the ice.

    Last edited by Sludge; 09-18-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: fix quote

  7. #57
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquabot View Post
    Why not put in the eyes of the father if he was leading him in? Hell if he was a commercial diver then he should know better than to go into place where you don't have the training.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Didn't realize what was going on until the father was past me, I had just arrived at my 20 ft stop and had done my switch to O2, etc. I only found out they were father & son when I commented about it at the fill station and the guy there said the father called me a dick for doing what I did. The so-called commercial diver was another incident. I guess he did not understand the difference between a surface fed air supply and an aluminum 80...


  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    Not sure about Florida but up here in NY, at the Mensa tests I proctor, we get about 75% pass rate.

    We don't have many Mensa candidates in the 'duh.


  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfascuba View Post
    The so-called commercial diver was another incident. I guess he did not understand the difference between a surface fed air supply and an aluminum 80...
    People should realize that commercial divers are not necessarily scuba certified. It is not a standard part of the curriculum in some schools. Commercial divers up here can't get a tank filled. I'm sure the guy you ran into had a c-card since they let him in.

    Ken


    The Tech Diver's Prayer: Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it..

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfascuba View Post
    Didn't realize what was going on until the father was past me, I had just arrived at my 20 ft stop and had done my switch to O2, etc. I only found out they were father & son when I commented about it at the fill station and the guy there said the father called me a dick for doing what I did. The so-called commercial diver was another incident. I guess he did not understand the difference between a surface fed air supply and an aluminum 80...
    I see, you still did right in my book. Inflated egos don't belong in this sport and its sad at how many people fail to realize it until its too late.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2



 

Similar Threads

  1. Houston Area Cave Divers – Reminder! June 23, Cave Diver Day at Mammoth Lake!!
    By kotik in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  2. The Cave Divers
    By alanf in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
  3. Cave Conservation & Student Cave Divers
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts