Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68
  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    262

    Default

    I was with Bobby in JB last week checking out the LD35 and one of his other lights and was blown away by the LD35. (I was equally impressed by the other one but am trying to stay on topic of the LD35) I am coming from a 21wHID and couldn't believe the concentration and output of light...my first thought was "this thing is a light cannon." The quality of the lights have dramatically improved and the first thing I noticed was the 100% improvement with the light head clip. In full disclosure, I did the short teaser for Bobby...but regardless of the relationship, I was very impressed with the direction they went in with the LD35. Taking it to less exciting waters tomorrow (Gilboa quarry) for a couple buds that want to check it out to see how it does in the quarry. Side note: If anyone reading this will be at Gilboa on Sun 9/15 and you want to check it out...I will be on the deep side in the morning...pm me here.
    back on topic...regardless of the light you choose that best suits your needs...you have to admit that anyone who has met Bobby picks up on his passion for building quality lights and educating divers to make them educated buyers.

    People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

  2. #42
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Age
    59
    Posts
    412

    Default

    LED.... because of longer burn time and durability.

    Hostile Member

    Originally Posted by Tegg
    "Every hole is worth a shot."

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    I've only used HID - Tracy and I have had the same primary lights since starting cave diving in 2005. A friend just converted our lights to LED and we'll be putting them to use soon. I've had an HID bulb blow when I turned it on after a very slight impact with a rock while getting into the water, and I've had a couple blow for no reason that I could discern, except that maybe they were trying to be annoying. So I'm looking forward to the increased durability. These LED's are also supposed to have about 1.5 X the light output of the HID bulbs they replaced, but I've always felt that my 10 watt HID gave me plenty of light.

    Mike


  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Marianna Fl
    Age
    31
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Some of us are stuck with HID's because of money but when the day comes that my light wears out (and when I have the money) I'll switch.

    We can not direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default

    After a couple failures with my Halcyon HID that caused cave dives to be called, I switched to the Greenforce LED, which I loved and worked flawlessly for me for 9 years. It just failed last month due to battery age, and I placed my LightDude order last week. The 9watt equivalence of the Greenforce was enough for me, but I am excited about receiving my new Lightdude light and seeing wall-to-wall! The reviews have all been stellar, and I know Bobby well enough to know that he would not enter the market just to offer another light, but to offer something exceptional!

    WJH


  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Now I am even more interested to see the new 35 UWLD.
    I love the LM 35 HID and the UWLD 26w LED those two lights I have used and enjoyed.
    Used LM 21 HID, DR 10w HID, LM & DR LED's all worked well but the two afore mentioned lights were my pics.
    Outstanding service from either companies.
    If you know Bobbie he is driven to produce the finest light out there!

    Looking forward to seeing one of these inaction in Oct.!

    JCG


  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I have the HOG 21W HID (LM Made supposedly)
    I had the chance to dive with a 21W LED LM light last year. I just didn't compare to HID.

    I missed the focusable beam that my HID has (I use this feature a lot). Also it seemed the LED just didn't have the cutting power that the HID did, it couldn't throw as far.

    I like the nice clean white of LED, but it just does't cut it when it comes to sheer brightness overall, spread, etc.
    I also like that LED is either on or off. There's no warm up time as with HID...and no period of pause before firing it back up if you should shut it off for fear of damage.

    Just observations over the past year or so since I got my HID.


  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Caldwell, Ohio
    Age
    64
    Posts
    439

    Default

    LED technology has grown by leeps and bounds and their durability is second to none. I my opinion the secret is how the high performance manufacturers have figured out how to assemble the light head so the LEDs are focused and the power doesnt burn the LEDs up after a few dives.
    It is no secret that I am a huge Uwlightdude fan, Bobby refuses to settle for status quo in manufacturing or in life. I think that the HID technology will be around for a few years and you will be hard pressed to tell a cave diver that his HID he has used for years is junk. You might get a blackeye from a diver that has hundreds of great dives with that light. I am very lucking to have the lghtdude as much friend and mentor, in the years I have known him he has taught more about lights and cave diving than I could have ever learned without him. He will be a leader in the light industry for years.


  9. #49

    Default

    LED. I don't do canister lights, and you can't package an HID small enough.

    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

  10. #50
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavern newbee View Post
    Some of us are stuck with HID's because of money but when the day comes that my light wears out (and when I have the money) I'll switch.
    If money is a concern, do not dismiss the ULD refit. He did a refit to one of the small DR light heads for me that is outstanding at a remarkable price.

    In fact, if you were to come across one of these DR lights with either an HID or an early DR LED conversion for the right price, add the cost of his refit, you would come out of it doing quite well with a great light...

    I am not a spokesman blah blah blah, just a satisfied end user.

    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

    The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  2. HID vs. LED
    By BgDadddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  3. Hid-led??
    By axel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts