Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    21w HID for me. Thus far, all the LEDs I've seen play 2nd fiddle.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Wow. Was there a comment that didn't include UWLD?

    I suppose that's your answer however I have yet to see this light...


    Garth

    If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..

    http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    21W HID, before that it was an 18W HID. The 21W HID from LM I have is like a light saber, nice tightly focused beam that can signal everyone. If I want, it can also unfocus and it becomes a nice BRIGHT flood.

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avs123 View Post
    ...how many divers have legitimately broken there HID bulbs themselves from dropping or smashing them
    I broke an HID bulb when getting into the water - the light head came unclipped and fell about one foot and smacked a rock. I've also replaced an HID bulb on two other occasions when it burned out. That gets expensive.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Caldwell, Ohio
    Age
    64
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I would have agreed with you before we created the LD-35 with 3500 Lumen of light output and only 30 watts of power consumption. 4.5 hours on our tall (144wh) canister and 3 hours on our short (96wh). Brohahaha
    I see you have released the BEAST.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avs123 View Post
    ive been in the cave with a diver who was using an UWLD and it was for sure a great light i was very impressed im just not sold on LED yet everyone one says they last longer and and can take a beating better than HID im intrested to know how many divers have legitimately broken there HID bulbs themselves from dropping or smashing them im an intro diver so my gear takes a beating and my light just keeps on ticking
    I've never broken or replaced my bulb. it's about 6 or 7 years old now


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South Daytona Fl.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    339

    Default

    DiveRite 24 watt HID this light has been a bad A$$ light. The light head is small all the stuff is in the can. Just no need to buy another light. Some day maybe. Dive safe. Red.

    Red Sullivan
    (Dive within your training.)

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I still prefer HID lights. LED's are nice, but I prefer the punch I get with a HID. I've had two HID lights, a DR 10W MR11, and now a LM 35W - still haven't popped a bulb. I carry a spare to satisfy Murphy, but I've never had a problem with these bulbs. In fact, when I sold my MR11 last year it still had its original bulb.

    - Brian

    "Slow and steady wins the race." - Aesop

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    482

    Default

    You can test dive any light out there, so my suggestion is to zero in on 1 or 2 that you like and give them a try.

    I started when HIDs were the only logical choice. Today it's LED.

    The LEDs do give a longer dive time - batteries being the same - but that may not be a deciding factor, based on how long your dives are. My rebreather will run 11+ hours (scrubber duration) so I use a light that will go at least that long. I figure if I get into trouble, having a light that will help a rescue team find me is worth having. Of course in such emergency situations you can achieve the same result by going to your backups.

    I have a LED with 3 lamp settings, so if I need extra punch I can dial the brightest setting. For most of my diving I prefer a lower setting and a wider beam. Just depends on what you like for the way you dive.

    LEDs seem to be getting less expensive than many HIDs (for the same burn times), lighter & smaller, too. So, suggest you test dive one from each camp.

    Bill Ripley

    Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    My HID bulb broke when I was getting out of the water and my light head swung down about 2' and hit something. I also went through several HID bulbs because they just burned out.
    I didn't know there was anything bigger than the 26, does Edd have one of the 35's?



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  2. HID vs. LED
    By BgDadddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  3. Hid-led??
    By axel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts