Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68
  1. #1

    Default HID or LED which do you prefer more for cave diving and why ??

    I dive a 21 watt HID as my primary light source in the cave and have had no problems with it just curious to see what kind of lights cave divers prefer and why they prefer one over the other?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    21w hid is perfect for me. I haven't seen the uw light dude lights in action. but as of now I have no compelling reason to switch


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    LED... Last longer

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society http://dr-ss.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I prefer my 21W HID, but the LM 12W LED in SM configuration is OK.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default HID or LED which do you prefer more for cave diving and why ??

    This is one of those threads that a search would find a lot of other similar threads.
    As far as not seeing an UWLD light, without having seen one, you can't decide which you like better, LED or HID. I like diving my LM 50W HID, any HID of less power, Bobby's light simply out performs. There are disadvantages to the 50W HID, mostly the car sized battery that is required to supply that kind of power. I lkie the beam focus that I've only seen so far in an HID.


  6. #6

    Default

    ive been in the cave with a diver who was using an UWLD and it was for sure a great light i was very impressed im just not sold on LED yet everyone one says they last longer and and can take a beating better than HID im intrested to know how many divers have legitimately broken there HID bulbs themselves from dropping or smashing them im an intro diver so my gear takes a beating and my light just keeps on ticking


  7. #7

    Default

    I also think and this is my opinion that the primary purpose for cave lights is for signaling and second purpose is for seeing the cave and in my limited experince thus far in cave diving HID creates a far better concentrated beam for signaling better than LED most LED in my opinion make more of a flood beam and tend to wash out others lights


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    My HID bulb broke when I was getting out of the water and my light head swung down about 2' and hit something. I also went through several HID bulbs because they just burned out.



    Quote Originally Posted by Avs123 View Post
    ive been in the cave with a diver who was using an UWLD and it was for sure a great light i was very impressed im just not sold on LED yet everyone one says they last longer and and can take a beating better than HID im intrested to know how many divers have legitimately broken there HID bulbs themselves from dropping or smashing them im an intro diver so my gear takes a beating and my light just keeps on ticking

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society http://dr-ss.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    This is one of those threads that a search would find a lot of other similar threads.
    As far as not seeing an UWLD light, without having seen one, you can't decide which you like better, LED or HID. I like diving my LM 50W HID, any HID of less power, Bobby's light simply out performs. There are disadvantages to the 50W HID, mostly the car sized battery that is required to supply that kind of power. I lkie the beam focus that I've only seen so far in an HID.
    I would have agreed with you before we created the LD-35 with 3500 Lumen of light output and only 30 watts of power consumption. 4.5 hours on our tall (144wh) canister and 3 hours on our short (96wh). Brohahaha

    Bobby

    The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

    Local Zip Code Diver

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Age
    67
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I am still diving my HID that I bought a long time ago. I always thought I would wait until they made a focusable LED of equal or greater power.
    I was offered a test dive of a LD-26 at Manatee. I saw more cave in that one dive than I had seen in the previous 8 dives.
    Now I am saving my money for one!



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  2. HID vs. LED
    By BgDadddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  3. Hid-led??
    By axel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts