Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Default eagles nest question

    I haven't been to the downstream section for a while.
    Is the lockwood tunnel a jump or tee to the left and how far
    to the jump. I think max depth is around 220.

    Thanks
    bill


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    With all the rain the conditions there are terrible, about two feet of vis with the last report. It probably wont clear up until October maybe sooner if we can go a week with out rain. I check my dive log and I had 226'.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    it's a jump last i was there. not far at all
    220ish sounds about right


  4. #4

    Default

    About 400'p downstream. Def a jump. I hit 235' max depth last time in the Lockwood Tunnel. Don't waste your time going out there anytime soon.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    It's almost a snap gap it's on some rocks that stick up out of the silt on your left as you head down the line downstream.


  6. #6

    Default

    At one time the gap was so close that you could pull the mainline over to the jump and lock it with the existing line arrow. Someone pulled it over like that and left it clipped in. I returned the line to normal state and then moved the rock further away from the arrow so it would not be left like that again (you should have seen my buddy haul ass when the silt began to rise off the rock). I am sure this will have pissed someone off that I did it, but I think I acted properly and in the best interest of safety. It can still be done as a snap-n-gap, you will just have to use your own snap now.

    flame suit on and preparing for the attack


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    At one time the gap was so close that you could pull the mainline over to the jump and lock it with the existing line arrow. Someone pulled it over like that and left it clipped in. I returned the line to normal state and then moved the rock further away from the arrow so it would not be left like that again (you should have seen my buddy haul ass when the silt began to rise off the rock). I am sure this will have pissed someone off that I did it, but I think I acted properly and in the best interest of safety. It can still be done as a snap-n-gap, you will just have to use your own snap now.

    flame suit on and preparing for the attack
    I think you did the right thing.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    At one time the gap was so close that you could pull the mainline over to the jump and lock it with the existing line arrow. Someone pulled it over like that and left it clipped in. I returned the line to normal state and then moved the rock further away from the arrow so it would not be left like that again (you should have seen my buddy haul ass when the silt began to rise off the rock). I am sure this will have pissed someone off that I did it, but I think I acted properly and in the best interest of safety. It can still be done as a snap-n-gap, you will just have to use your own snap now.

    flame suit on and preparing for the attack
    You know OW divers don't carry a snap. They just drop the rock over the line. After staying in a Holiday Inn last night, of course.

    But seriously, tiny gaps for some reason seemed to be missed on entrance but alway noticed, on exit. I remember people used to miss the one at what's now the first T at JB. I've seen exiting people just stopped and staring at it twice. I was glad they T'd it. Deep stuff, open the gap. Wasn't there a discussion here several years ago about the gap at the Lockwood tunnel?

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Jumps at 200'. I have trouble seeing a benefit to that over a well marked T.

    Close jumps (reach gaps and the like) at 200' are even worse, imo.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Jumps at 200'. I have trouble seeing a benefit to that over a well marked T.

    Close jumps (reach gaps and the like) at 200' are even worse, imo.
    I agree, Ts work well in all the places that they are used. Having accidentally missed short jumps, I believe well marked Ts are a lot safer.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eagles Nest.
    By TN in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM
  2. Line question at Eagles Nest
    By Dsix36 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
  3. Eagles Nest line question / and trip report.
    By MedCop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
  4. Eagles Nest???
    By HoosierDaddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
  5. Eagles Nest
    By CaveCrazyJax in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts