Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default Follow-up all-inclusive Cavern, Cave, and/or Technical Diver Research Study

    I have completed my dissertation and it has been accepted by Barry University. I have now earned a Ph.D. in Counseling. Thank you to everyone who participated in the doctoral study earlier this year. I have the complete dissertation and it is ready to be posted. I believe you will find the results interesting. Since the dissertation study was limited to male cave divers I received many requests to open the survey to everyone. The new study is titled: Cavern, Cave, and/or Technical Diver Personality Traits & Relationship Adjustment.

    Before I post the results (less than 30 days) I want to acknowledge the divers who because of specific limitations in the first study could not participate. The three questionnaires are the same as the doctoral study but the demographics now include options for everyone to participate. The survey is open to all cavern, cave, and/or technical divers both female and male and all relationship status including being single. If you participated the first study and want to participate again that option is also available on the informed consent screen.

    A new item includes an option for you and your spouse/significant other (diver or not) to take the survey. If you choose this option the software is able to match the couple’s data while still remaining anonymous. Selecting this option will provide data which can be analyzed to compare the actual style differences of matched couples. There is also an option to take the survey as a single person and only complete the personality questionnaires. The survey is estimated to take no more than 30 minutes to complete.

    To participate go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DVVQBDL

    Additional Study Information – The fine print
    The aim of the research is to examine the relationship between personality traits, alexithymia, and dyadic adjustment in Cavern, Cave, and/or Technical Divers. Alexithymia refers to the inability to identify and interpret emotions in oneself or others. Dyadic adjustment refers to the overall adjustment between two people who are married or who are partners (past or present). If you decide to participate in this research, you will be asked to do the following: Answer the questions on a demographic survey, Zuckerman Kuhlman Personality Questionnaire, the Toronto Alexithymia Scale, and the Dyadic Adjustment Scale.

    This survey is completely anonymous and no IP addresses are collected by this researcher.

    If you have any questions or concerns regarding the study or your participation in the study you may contact me, Bill Oigarden at (386) 984-9348 or by email [email protected]

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Congratulations, Dr. Oigarden!

    I'll do the survey again when I'm not at work and apt to be interrupted at any moment.

    Mike


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Thank you Mike. Once we collect this last round of data I am very excited to share the results with everyone. Bill

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I filled it out but had a couple suggestions on the survey if you're able to change it at all:

    Occupation - you should add IT (Information Technology) "Computer and Math" have nothing to do with each other and "installation/repair" etc has more to do with a lot of IT work, but is not really mentioned. You would be surprised how many people are in the IT field, and how much it covers.

    Current Personal Income Level - Any reason it's stated as "personal income" vs "household income" ? If I lived by myself, or my wife didn't work, I doubt I could afford to be doing what I do with diving. Having dual incomes lets me afford to dive as much as I do.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default Participants input – Thank you!

    Thanks for taking the time to take the survey. There are some things I can modify in SurveyMonkey without interfering with the data already collected. I will work on it. Bill

    1- Occupation - you should add IT (Information Technology) "Computer and Math" have nothing to do with each other and "installation/repair" etc has more to do with a lot of IT work, but is not really mentioned. You would be surprised how many people are in the IT field, and how much it covers.

    2- Current Personal Income Level - Any reason it's stated as "personal income" vs "household income" ? If I lived by myself, or my wife didn't work, I doubt I could afford to be doing what I do with diving. Having dual incomes lets me afford to dive as much as I do.

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Participation has been good. Thank you. I am really hoping to get as many female participants as possible. So far about 30 female participants have completed the survey. This is about 7 percent of the total number of participants. Maybe that is the actual ratio of female to male divers. I am going to close the study in a little bit over a week on September 23. I will then post my dissertation with the results of the first study. If anyone wants to re-post my original survey invitation post with the survey link in it with hopes of reaching more female cave/cavern/tech divers please do. Forums, listsrvs, facebook, & websites are fine. Thanks again. Bill

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
  2. Oigarden Doctoral Online Research Study
    By Bill Oigarden in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM
  3. Ax Men Episode w/Diver lost in cavern/cave
    By Benderr in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
  4. Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study
    By debersole in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts