Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Collingwood Ontario
    Posts
    69

    Default In cave divers we trust

    Recently i purchased a housing with all of the extras from a fellow cave diver that replied to a post i had made asking questions regarding underwater photography. This Kind and trusting gentleman put his trust into me because " i was a cave diver and most cave divers are good people". He sent me thousands of dollars of camera gear in an advance of payment trusting that i would send him the money we had agreed upon for the housing and such, I was to pick up the larger portion of the gear when i landed in cave country and of course without any doubt there it was waiting for my arrival. On my end the money was sent and both parties were happy.
    After this transaction it became aware to me that this wasnt the first time i had put my trust into cave divers. I head to cave country at least 2 times a year for a couple weeks at a time and generally head there on my own, i often have hooked up with "strangers" with nothing in common apart from our love of wet rocks, but through this i have gained many friendships and had plenty of amazing dives.
    As we all know cave diving is a serious sport with dire consequences but on countless times both my buddy trusting me and me trusting my buddy have made the plunge to have amazing,fun,safe dives.
    I guess what i am getting at is because i know a person is a cave diver i know they have a certain skill set that gives me more trust on a dive with them as a stranger then say if your paired up on a charter heading out for a wreck or on the shore with a local shop heading out for a fun dive. Yes i have still made the other dives mentioned but when i go diving with someone i know is a cave diver the voices in the back of my head are silenced. I have confidence with my buddies skill set and with that comes comfort which makes for a relaxing enjoyable dive.
    Safe diving.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    Recently i purchased a housing with all of the extras from a fellow cave diver that replied to a post i had made asking questions regarding underwater photography. This Kind and trusting gentleman put his trust into me because " i was a cave diver and most cave divers are good people". He sent me thousands of dollars of camera gear in an advance of payment trusting that i would send him the money we had agreed upon for the housing and such, I was to pick up the larger portion of the gear when i landed in cave country and of course without any doubt there it was waiting for my arrival. On my end the money was sent and both parties were happy.
    After this transaction it became aware to me that this wasnt the first time i had put my trust into cave divers. I head to cave country at least 2 times a year for a couple weeks at a time and generally head there on my own, i often have hooked up with "strangers" with nothing in common apart from our love of wet rocks, but through this i have gained many friendships and had plenty of amazing dives.
    As we all know cave diving is a serious sport with dire consequences but on countless times both my buddy trusting me and me trusting my buddy have made the plunge to have amazing,fun,safe dives.
    I guess what i am getting at is because i know a person is a cave diver i know they have a certain skill set that gives me more trust on a dive with them as a stranger then say if your paired up on a charter heading out for a wreck or on the shore with a local shop heading out for a fun dive. Yes i have still made the other dives mentioned but when i go diving with someone i know is a cave diver the voices in the back of my head are silenced. I have confidence with my buddies skill set and with that comes comfort which makes for a relaxing enjoyable dive.
    Safe diving.
    You haven't went diving with ME yet. You might change your mind.


  3. #3

    Default

    There are some notable exceptions......
    http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...ighlight=thief


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Trust is certainly an important part of diving when you are with other people. Although I cannot speak for cave diving as I am not a cave diver yet, I can speak for wreck diving with strangers... it certainly is hit or miss. I find that even the most chill people on the boat can sometimes be irratic, spastic, and uncoordinated under water. Even when you go over the dive plan, safety procedures, and limits you still can't predict the behavior of a diver. I presume most cave divers are under control, purposeful and fluid in their movements? I certainly like to enjoy my dives

    If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..

    http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Cave shops are what amazes me. You walk in, they don't know you and let you charge or borrow almost anything you want and watch you walk away. Practically anyone at a cave dive site will loan you something if you forget it or break something after a five minute conversation or how do you do. How could you not love that? I could never cheat or screw over trusting people like that. Cave divers as a group are top notch.

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  6. #6
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Coast of Arizona
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    LOL - isn't this the truth?

    I was going over my credit card statement after a trip to Marianna. Something wasn't right -- ah ha! Made the call -- Hey, you didn't charge me the $200 for . . .


    Oh, yeah, you're right! Just incredible.

    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

  7. #7

    Default

    I pulled out of Dive Outpost early one morning to catch a quick dive before hitting the road to go home. I had a nice solo dive and drove home. the next day I realized that I had not paid my tab and it was quite large from spending an entire week there. I called Cathy and said "I left without paying my bill". Her reply was "Why yes you did". I gave her my credit card info and life was good again.

    Jill trusted me to mail a check to her for my cave class when I got home. For some reason I was planning to use a cc. She sent my papers in before I got home to mail the check.

    Cave divers are a small group and it will not pay to crap in your own backyard!!!


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Collingwood Ontario
    Posts
    69

    Default

    In my experiences cave divers are an incredible group of wonderful people,from the dive shops down i have had nothing but positive experiences.
    Safe diving


  9. #9
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Age
    59
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    In my experiences cave divers are an incredible group of wonderful people,from the dive shops down i have had nothing but positive experiences.
    Safe diving
    Absolutely the truth, many times on this forum you see posts from other cave divers having found lost equipment or something left behind in parking or staging areas , trying to find who's it is to return to. I believe that the dedication that it takes to be a cave diver directly correlates to one possessing solid integrity.

    Hostile Member

    Originally Posted by Tegg
    "Every hole is worth a shot."


 

Similar Threads

  1. Houston Area Cave Divers – Reminder! June 23, Cave Diver Day at Mammoth Lake!!
    By kotik in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  2. Beware the trust me dive
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
  3. Trust Me Dive
    By Lgreen in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-25-2005, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts