Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    364

    Default How Would You Take Up Space

    If you had a battery that was only 1/2 as long as your light canister, how would you take up the additional space? Please let me know whether or not you are answering from personal experience, observation, or thoughtful insight. All constructive suggestions and comments welcome. Curious-minded folks are welcome to read on for a description of how this comes to pass. Thanks in advance.

    I've got an old light with a NiMH battery that runs about 2 hours and is about 10" long. By purchasing a similar light, in addition to obtaining a complete backup primary, I also have backups for the battery and bulb in my primary primary. I can swap out the used battery and bulb from the light I just purchased to my old light, but not vice versa. Unfortunately, while I can mount the "new" light to take both lights at the same time, when the battery from my preferred light is no longer useful the cord is too short to simply swap in the newer light canister between dives. After a typical dive using the NiMH battery, I can swap in the battery from the light I just purchased, however that one is a Li-ion and about 5" long. Hence, the need to take up some space in the longer canister. The lights are from Sartek and the good people at Sartek say I can put "anything" in there to take up the space--there's no heat issue and it's just to avoid the electrical connection in the canister pulling apart or having the battery move back-and-forth. Again, thanks for any helpful tips or suggestions.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    If you had a battery that was only 1/2 as long as your light canister, how would you take up the additional space? Please let me know whether or not you are answering from personal experience, observation, or thoughtful insight. All constructive suggestions and comments welcome. Curious-minded folks are welcome to read on for a description of how this comes to pass. Thanks in advance.

    I've got an old light with a NiMH battery that runs about 2 hours and is about 10" long. By purchasing a similar light, in addition to obtaining a complete backup primary, I also have backups for the battery and bulb in my primary primary. I can swap out the used battery and bulb from the light I just purchased to my old light, but not vice versa. Unfortunately, while I can mount the "new" light to take both lights at the same time, when the battery from my preferred light is no longer useful the cord is too short to simply swap in the newer light canister between dives. After a typical dive using the NiMH battery, I can swap in the battery from the light I just purchased, however that one is a Li-ion and about 5" long. Hence, the need to take up some space in the longer canister. The lights are from Sartek and the good people at Sartek say I can put "anything" in there to take up the space--there's no heat issue and it's just to avoid the electrical connection in the canister pulling apart or having the battery move back-and-forth. Again, thanks for any helpful tips or suggestions.
    I have done that, and just used poly foam to make up the difference.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    The solution is so easy. Hamsters. Why should cave diving be limited to humans, with a bit of engineering, a little soda sorb, and some space in your battery pack, stuff a hamster in for a ride. Now I don't want to be cruel, only good for short dives, as the hamster may expire on longer ones, and admittedly, you may loose a few hamsters experimenting with dive duration, but just think of the fun for the lucky survivors. The really fluffy ones will cushion your battery just fine.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    OFG-1: Great minds think alike. I was actually thinking Gerbils for just a second, but then it occurred to me, with Jont's obsession with them, they might be hard to find. Upon more in depth contemplation, hamsters are the obvious choice.


  5. #5

    Default

    The extra space in the canister is a great place for your drivers license, credit cards, C-Cards, cash, and your car keys. Just make sure that anything even a little bit sharp or pointy is protected from damaging your battery and wiring.

    If you canister does not leak these items should not only stay dry, but they won't be subject to pressure changes at depth.

    At 50 dives, I thought I had this diving thing figured out. At 100 dives, I realized how wrong I was at 50.

    Cancer survivor since 2011.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Either the the high density foam spacer Forrest suggested or perhaps a section of pvc pipe (appropriate diameter and length, of course) should work.
    Scotty came up with something similar to make spacers for a Gavin tube. Don't see why it cannot be scaled down....

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    PS I'd go with hamsters instead of Gerbils if you go that route. The gerbil tails may get caught on the lid and make it leak.....

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06 View Post
    PS I'd go with hamsters instead of Gerbils if you go that route. The gerbil tails may get caught on the lid and make it leak.....
    I agree. I think Jont is suffering "leakage" from his use of Gerbils too.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    When I replaced my dead lead acid battery with a batteryspace NIMH battery in my DR wreck canister I used a section of 2' pvc tubing (perfect fit for battery) surrounded by some foam pipe insulation from the local hardware store. I just filled the space under it with more foam. Been using it that way for a year and a half - works great.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0742.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	9003
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0743.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	9004


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Thanks for playing y'all. Special thanks for the constructive and helpful suggestions. Regular thanks for the rest.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    My first wife

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."


 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Santi E Space drysuit with only 16 dive on it.
    By BradnerBoy in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts