Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21

    Default

    This is my own personal evaluation of my training and my abilities, so feel free to ignore me.

    I did the zero to hero thing on my rebreather with no previous cave experience. Even to this date, it is my belief that I was given all the tools to be able to cave dive safely and build my experience and abilities. I also know damn good and well that when I first got my card that my abilities were pretty sorry and my comfort level was pretty low. I have indeed touched the silt on more than one occasion and I have touched the cave too. I was taught about cave conservation and felt bad every time that I made one of these mistakes. I made the effort to improve with every dive and made sure to stay in "training" caves and bigger areas until both my skill and comfort were at a higher level. I do not blame my mistakes on any agency or my instructor.

    I have been diving with several newer diver and witnessed some errors on their part. I have done my best to offer constructive advice just as other did for myself. I did not jump on them or accuse their instructor of doing a crap job.

    I am reasonably new to this cave diving thing and have not witnessed the decline of divers abilities as has been brought up by Bobby, but then again I might be one of the people he is referring to.

    No naked pictures, just dive stuff. Click Here

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    I think in this case it's " no expects the Speleo Inquisition".
    Tee-shirts?

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    lol, in for a xl

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
    I think in this case it's " no expects the Speleo Inquisition".
    Tee-shirts?

    Chris Richardson

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    I LOL'd


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxford Mills, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    85

    Default

    While the instructional process may be part of the problem I think the biggest issue is with the demographics of the sport. Years ago cave diving was a very elite group of people. Most people who considered cave diving were very experienced technical divers first, who had a lot of real world experience outside of a class before they decided to cave dive. Now as the popularity of the sport has grown every "tom, dick, harry, and susan" has decided that cave diving is the next step in a string of classes. There are so many certifications now I completely lose track of them all. These divers have generally spent so much time in classes collecting cards that they have rarely been diving independently and have not gained experience without supervision. Add to that a whole bunch of poorly qualified cave instructors, who may have followed the same path, and it is no wonder there are knee prints in the cave.


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Jim's the training director, i think a drawing of him dressed up as a conquistador demanding a card from a diver in full cave gear with that under it would be just perfect....

    Chris Richardson

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Add to that a whole bunch of poorly qualified cave instructors, who may have followed the same path, and it is no wonder there are knee prints in the cave.
    I wish it was knee prints, it's places that look like there were mud wrestling contests happening.... Good point.

    Chris Richardson

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"


  9. #29

    Default

    I think it's a very key point that everybody thinks his or her instructor is the cat's meow. I know I went through my training very impressed with the people who trained me (and I still am, but that's a different story). Since I had read that cave training was very difficult and not everybody passed it, I wasn't surprised when it turned out that way. I expected to work for my certs, and I did.

    Although I haven't seen the same degree of woeful diving that has been posted here in videos and descriptions, I certainly have seen some things that raised my eyebrows. We followed a group one day in Chan Hol, a group being led by someone with a name that would have made me expect that they would have been very good divers. Our entire group was astonished at what we saw, and what we had to deal with as a result of poor trim and poor technique, that reduced the viz in what is actually quite a large passage. I have dived with someone who could only do a valve drill on his knees, and I did a guided tour on Coz with a fellow diver who paddled with his hands.

    Is it possible that a lot of the problems would be reduced, if agencies all required a stringent open water class before accepting students for overhead training? I'm talking about something similar to the class I took, GUE Fundamentals. To get a "tech pass" from that class, which is required before you can do a cave class, you have to be able to meet a fairly strict standard for buoyancy, trim, propulsion, and situational awareness, and maintain that standard through all your drills.

    That might not solve the problems with people not being taught proper cave procedures, but it would go a long way toward stopping the knee prints and silting.


  10. #30
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    Actually, it's, "Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. DR cave safety problem
    By phillip1 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
  3. Forget you o2 at Ginnie?
    By JahJahwarrior in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 06:04 AM
  4. DON'T FORGET....
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 03:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts