Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Stop being a cert agency

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    31 13.72%
  • NO!

    92 40.71%
  • You deserve to die for suggesting this!

    103 45.58%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 196
  1. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    346

    Default

    In response to Jont's suggestion that vacation cave divers should quit the sport: I don't think we are the problem. Most of us know and respect our limits. I suspect that the every other weekend divers are more likely to exceed thier limits. It took me 3 years to reach full cave diver status, but I respected my limitations, had fun, and learned a lot along the way. Full cave doesn't mean I can do everything. It means I know what I can and can't do. I still have a lot to learn. I can do short circuits (Nicholson, Taj, Cuzan Na). Someday I'll feel up to doing the Godzilla Circuit and the Expressway Circuit, but I'm in no hurry. SuperBugMan is right: Florida has over a hundred diveable caves, but I consider most of them off limits. I am a tourist, and I am still learning my way around the odd recesses of the tourist caves. I lack the training for Eagle's Nest or Jug Hole, and I respect that limitation. I never will be able to do Royal Spring or Alachua Sink, and I don't care. While I am on this rant, I will put in a plea for people who are happy staying Intro and people who would be happy to stay Apprentice if they could. Some people are quite happy just paddling up to Olsen Sink or the Breakdown Room. Some people's ambition ends at the Bone Room or the Godzilla Room; there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

    "I like to do dangerous things safely."

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    In response to Jont's suggestion that vacation cave divers should quit the sport: I don't think we are the problem. Most of us know and respect our limits. I suspect that the every other weekend divers are more likely to exceed thier limits. It took me 3 years to reach full cave diver status, but I respected my limitations, had fun, and learned a lot along the way. Full cave doesn't mean I can do everything. It means I know what I can and can't do. I still have a lot to learn. I can do short circuits (Nicholson, Taj, Cuzan Na). Someday I'll feel up to doing the Godzilla Circuit and the Expressway Circuit, but I'm in no hurry. SuperBugMan is right: Florida has over a hundred diveable caves, but I consider most of them off limits. I am a tourist, and I am still learning my way around the odd recesses of the tourist caves. I lack the training for Eagle's Nest or Jug Hole, and I respect that limitation. I never will be able to do Royal Spring or Alachua Sink, and I don't care. While I am on this rant, I will put in a plea for people who are happy staying Intro and people who would be happy to stay Apprentice if they could. Some people are quite happy just paddling up to Olsen Sink or the Breakdown Room. Some people's ambition ends at the Bone Room or the Godzilla Room; there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.
    Allen: I never suggested that vacation divers should quit...I AM ONE, please re read what I wrote.....LOL, I live in Manhattan, the orly caves we have here are filled with annoying people and trains.

    The point I was tying to make is that just because someone has a c-card for 10 years doesn't mean they have 10 years of experience if they dive once per year on vacation.

    Quitting isnt in my nature and I would never suggest anyone quits at anything worthwhile, to many people get upset when people make honest mistakes cave diving.


  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jont View Post
    The "Old Boys Club": this makes me laugh because they really dont exist. When any organization is criticized like this it can only mean one of several several things:
    1) That person can't or wont pay the fee for membership.
    2) That person can't or wont jump through the hoops required for membership
    3) That person has a vested interest in competing with that org so they take shots at it.
    but usually it means they are just lazy and bitter.
    And then;

    4) That person doesn't give a toss, doesn't play politics, and suffers those that do poorly.

    Good 0ld Boys Clubs, (GOBC), do exist, just look at the competing org. (NACD) Sometimes the cost of membership just isn't worth it, well at least to me. To be fair there are GOBC's that do good, e. g. AMVets, Shriners, etc. Those are just two that pop in my head. I am not a member of either.

    An independent diver.

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apitkin View Post
    The CDS has essentially become a cave diving training agency, with a few other activities that play second fiddle to that.

    Some of us would like it to concentrate on (1) and by all means (2), as long as it is education rather than training (i.e. within a commercial relationship between an instructor and a student). The problem now is that the tail is wagging the dog.

    Andy
    I have to agree here. It has been a long slide to this position though, almost like the growth of a slow cancer. You don't notice it until it's too late.

    An independent diver.

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJersey View Post
    According to the CDS Constitution

    "These objectives include 1) promotion of the conservation, exploration, and study of underwater caves; and 2) education for increased awareness, safety, and skill in cave diving."
    Sorry, but I can't figure out multi-quoting.

    Just as its parent organization the NSS, number one should be conservation. Education doesn't have to mean an instructor-centric organization

    An independent diver.

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    And then;

    4) That person doesn't give a toss, doesn't play politics, and suffers those that do poorly.

    Good 0ld Boys Clubs, (GOBC), do exist, just look at the competing org. (NACD) Sometimes the cost of membership just isn't worth it, well at least to me. To be fair there are GOBC's that do good, e. g. AMVets, Shriners, etc. Those are just two that pop in my head. I am not a member of either.
    Ah nothing you mention is a GOBC, there are rust certain requirements for membership.....no GOBC their.


  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    I have to agree here. It has been a long slide to this position though, almost like the growth of a slow cancer. You don't notice it until it's too late.
    I can't multi quote either,

    So how do you propose that we unrig that bell without dire consequence to the organization?

    What evidence do you have to support that position?

    What specific course of action or plan have you come up with?


  8. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    Sorry, but I can't figure out multi-quoting....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jont View Post
    I can't multi quote either...
    It is easy, just click Reply with Quote one each one, highlight the whole quote, and save it to Notepad. Then copy the whole mess to a new post, and edit out what you don't intend to answer.

    Be sure to leave all the [QUOTE and [/QUOTE parts or it will like like this line.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #89

    Default

    There is a quote mark with a plus next to it in the bottom right hand corner (third option ofter reply and reply with quote), this is the multi quote option.

    9/11....... I remember .........

  10. #90

    Default

    click on the multi quote option at the bottom of each thread you want to quote then hit the reply to thread button and they will appear in the reply box so you can add your comments or edit out the portions of the quote you dont need.

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It is easy, just click Reply with Quote one each one, highlight the whole quote,.....Be sure to leave all the [QUOTE and [/QUOTE parts or it will like like this line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jont View Post
    I can't multi quote either, ...

    9/11....... I remember .........


 

Similar Threads

  1. Is Gavin still in Business?
    By T. Bix in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
  2. CDS Cave card found in Marianna
    By bgillespie82 in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 04:53 AM
  3. NSS-CDS Full Cave Card
    By Cave Ranger in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 06:26 AM
  4. NSS-CDS poll
    By FW in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts