Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    352

    Cave Diver Arrow Vortex Cave question

    I dove past the gate at Vortex last night for the first time.
    Not a bad cave. I actually liked it.
    I am curious about where I made it to.
    Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

    I have been looking a a map online from Jason Gulley 2003.
    I am guessing on distance but probably at least 300 or more past the gate, there was a T or jump tied in off to the left. I followed it to the left probably less than 60' at best guess. The line ended tied off on the wall on the right side as you go in. This line went through a rather large space as compared to the rest of this portion of the cave. The depth is this room as it was looked to drop down to about 130-135'.
    I followed this line back to the main line. Where the main line continues into the cave past this side line the cave and the pipe start to go down a hill. I was at 128' and the hill looked to go down about another 15' or so maybe 20' (I stayed at 128'). At what appeared to be the bottom of the hill, the pipe appeared to stop and there was a black plastic hose the same diameter as the pipe curled up.

    From what I can guess from the map on line I think I was either at a place labeled Ferrar Fissure that leads to Backmount Squeeze. There is a passage to the left shown just before the main cave line and pipe go deeper there.
    I may have been farther in but I do not think so. The next place I see on the map that drops like that is leading to Champagne Bottleneck.

    Max depth on my computer was 130' I hit the deepest point at about 20-22 min into the dive. I was making pretty good time once tied off and in the cave.

    Anyone have a good idea where I was, or have a better map?

    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vortexcave.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	8593  

    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    The cave has been changed a lot by dredging and collapse since we mapped it. You were looking down into the champagne bottleneck. What was once a snug, high flow restriction was removed by the dredge pipe.

    Jason Gulley

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    352

    Default

    So there is another line to the left a couple feet before where you would go down. Is the bottle neck where that black hose is?
    Why are they dredging ?

    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    If you went through (or perhaps under depending on the amount of sand that's been removed) a vertical crack entirely encased in rock, followed a bedding plane that looks like it would be snug in backmount and popped out into a smallish room that has a T in it (with the line going straight as well as a second line going down a sand slope), then you got to where the bottleneck used to be. Eduardo has been pulling sand out of the cave to make it bigger, so the cave looks a lot different now.

    Jason Gulley

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Not sure it definitely looked like a T. To me the pipe went down straight ahead and the T went to the left and the line ended to the left. The passage to the left looked more like traditional fl limestone passage. The reason I thought I may not have made it that far is that your map showed a passage to the left earlier.
    Is the dredging simply to push the cave further? That is so different when compared to places like peacock Ginnie little river etc. that has to be expensive I just wander what the funding and motivation are.

    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    That sounds like the area. FYI, the passage off to the left (cave left) on the map is in front of the grate and is not marked. That tunnel is longer and deeper than what is shown on your version of the map. It is lined but I've heard that it has since been grated off. It is a sidemount passage and was fortunately not obvious to most divers.

    Jason Gulley

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    352

    Default

    The passage I went down to the left was well after the grate. From the version of the map on line it is past the grate too. From what you are telling me I guess I was at the drop to the bottle neck. So that is the only T you know of at the bottleneck then?
    Jason thanks for all the info it is kind of cool to have the guy that did the map respond to me here. I am not looking to go to some new crazy places just curious to where I was. I rarely get over there. I had an O/W student wrapping up at Vortex and I have always been curious about the cave.

    If anyone else knows the reasons behind the dredging I am still very curious.
    Thanks,
    Dan

    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    There is no reason. It's just Eduardo playing around back there. Also, if he didn't the cave would be filled in with sand by now and now much would be accessible past the gate.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Makes since I was just curious.

    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wetumpka, Al
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Unless Eduardo opened up one in the last year there is no passage to the left past the gate. There is a T to the right about 4-500 ft past the grate and a longish restriction.
    Jason, he sucked all the sand away from that fissure so you dont have to go through it now. Im wondering if someone didn't run a line through it and maybe that's the left in question.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Dry cave question
    By phillip1 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
  2. Ben's Vortex - Can't wait for this cave movie
    By mdax in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
  3. Question Wreck or Cave?
    By Rob Traynham in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
  4. Trip Report: Vortex Spring Cave 5/4/2008
    By jimdiverman in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
  5. new cave question
    By ggoodman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts