Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Season?

  1. #1

    Default Season?

    Newbie question. Is the dive season ending in the near future? A friend and I are thinking of hitting a tourist cave or two mid-May but it's a long drive for us.

    Thanks!

    Leam

    Mind on a Mission Blog
    I used to think Cave Diving was the dark side...then I turned on my backup light...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Fl.
    Posts
    498

    Default

    This is Florida. We don't have a season. We dive year round.


  3. #3

    Default

    I thought the water flow shifted during the summer? I'm sure Forrest wouldn't be stopped but us Intro sorts might ought to be careful.

    At least that was my understanding.

    Mind on a Mission Blog
    I used to think Cave Diving was the dark side...then I turned on my backup light...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Fl.
    Posts
    498

    Default

    The only issue with the water in the caves is when south Georgia gets a lot of rain. Other than that the caves stay pretty clear year round.


  5. #5

    Default

    Cool...looks like we'll be headed there!

    Mind on a Mission Blog
    I used to think Cave Diving was the dark side...then I turned on my backup light...

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    There are two times of concern. The rainy spring,which is actually late winter,and hurricane season. These two times we can see large precipitation,and the rivers will flood.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    A little rain only makes the journey sweeter!
    Lots of diving options in FL especially for those who are willing to look a bit.
    Makes vacation fun and spontaneous.

    JCG


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    People who don't like hot weather tend to avoid FL in the summer. Some sites get pretty busy with locals during the summer and this tends to keep some divers away. Wayne at Amigo's told me summer was his slow season, but I don't know if the other shops would agree with that statement or not.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    I'd tell you that I and a few other divers I know have a tendency to cave dive more in the winter as other diving just isn't as good then as it is in the Summer, (it was 62 water temp in the cut at Panama City last weekend) plus I hate getting into that dry suit in 95+ degree wx. So I would say there is sort of a cave diving season, but it's because of the divers, not the diving being not as good.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Look, do I have to keep saying this? Avoid Florida at all costs, there is nothing to see here but a overdeveloped Mouse habitat, the place is loaded with all sorts of flying, swimming and slithering vermin, we have poisonous plants, drunken rednecks, traffic problems, a governor that looks like a penis, Rick Crawford, a entire bevvy of various and assorted Shirley's, man eating crocagators, nose amoeba, and damaging UV radiation everywhere. I suggest you go and cave dive Missouri, a much better place.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts