Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but try as I may, I can't come up with a scenario for this other than some exotic mixture.
    Top 2:
    Isolator closed during mixing of trimix similar to Judi Bernard's (sp?) incident.
    Use of a hypoxic trimix (e.g. 10/70) at <20ft depths.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Age
    54
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but try as I may, I can't come up with a scenario for this other than some exotic mixture.
    That depends on the definition of 'exotic'. Air breaks to back gas at 20' in Lake Tahoe on 10/70 make for a ppO2 of 0.138 - not the best choice. That's 20' / 34 ft per ata fresh water + 0.79 surface pressure * 10% fO2. We break to travel gas now.

    I agree that it is much harder / less common to go hypoxic OC than than on a rebreather.


  3. #13
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack View Post
    Isolator closed during mixing of trimix similar to Judi Bernard's (sp?) incident.
    That's not much different from stepping in front of a bus.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack View Post
    Use of a hypoxic trimix (e.g. 10/70) at <20ft depths.
    I can't imagine using a 10% O2 mix without having all the protocols in place.

    But I see the point - dumb mistakes can kill you on either configuration.

    Never mind.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    That's not much different from stepping in front of a bus.



    I can't imagine using a 10% O2 mix without having all the protocols in place.

    But I see the point - dumb mistakes can kill you on either configuration.

    Never mind.
    Yeah my main thought was hypoxic mixes too shallow (whether it be improper gas switch or improper tank labeling and not analyzing).



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts