Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: yoga breath

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Randolph, NJ
    Posts
    58

    Default yoga breath

    I was talking to a yoga teacher the other day. She told me my breathing was shallow and to practice longer breaths. The goal being to breath-in to the count of 4, and breath out to the count of 8. I have to assume this will only help my gas consumption. Anyone out there has experience with yoga? Do you see benefits?


  2. #2

    Default Re: yoga breath

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    I was talking to a yoga teacher the other day. She told me my breathing was shallow and to practice longer breaths. The goal being to breath-in to the count of 4, and breath out to the count of 8. I have to assume this will only help my gas consumption. Anyone out there has experience with yoga? Do you see benefits?
    Yes. Do it long enough and you automatically start breathing better even under serious physical loading.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Yup. Long deep breaths do help in exercise. If I'm biking and having trouble keeping a hard pace, its often because of breathing; once I focus on taking long deep breaths my heart rate drops and I can speed back up. I don't think this is "skip breathing" or whatever, its just good respiration, probably helps anywhere.


  4. #4
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    I find for the long term that deep breathing does help SAC rate.

    I have also found for the less active divers out there, that sexual activity within 24hrs of a dive also helps with SAC rate... of course it also adds to your SACK rate too...

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: yoga breath

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    I was talking to a yoga teacher the other day. She told me my breathing was shallow and to practice longer breaths. The goal being to breath-in to the count of 4, and breath out to the count of 8. I have to assume this will only help my gas consumption. Anyone out there has experience with yoga? Do you see benefits?
    Anyone who spends much time around OW classes has seen the signs of "breathing from the top-half of the Lungs"...these are the students breathing seemingly (but not ACTUALLY) heavily and RAPIDLY...besides the myriad gas exchange problems, this is one of the reasons they appear to need SO much lead ballast...

    I my case, on those occasions in the Overhead when I begin to hear the noises from the inside of Binkley's Closet, I find that measured and cadenced breathing such as you describe go FAR to up my Zen quotient...

    Norm

    Quisquam dignitas effectus est dignitas super effectus

    "This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are considered flaws or defects."

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default Re: yoga breath

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    I was talking to a yoga teacher the other day. She told me my breathing was shallow and to practice longer breaths. The goal being to breath-in to the count of 4, and breath out to the count of 8. I have to assume this will only help my gas consumption. Anyone out there has experience with yoga? Do you see benefits?
    Most westerners are chest breathers,which means we use the movement of the intercostal muscles to expand our chest cavity to breathe. This results in a more shallow breathing pattern. Diaphragmatic breathing is a deeper type of breathing,but many of us have to concentrate to do it. I do aerobic type exercise to increase my VO2 max,but my improvements in SAC rate have come from training myself to breathe and do relaxation-simple things that can be done when driving a car.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: yoga breath

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    I was talking to a yoga teacher the other day. She told me my breathing was shallow and to practice longer breaths. The goal being to breath-in to the count of 4, and breath out to the count of 8. I have to assume this will only help my gas consumption. Anyone out there has experience with yoga? Do you see benefits?
    If my Yoga teacher told me I was shallow, I'd slap her.

    I do practice Yoga, got started with it to increase shoulder flexibility so I could do my valve shutdown drills. But the relaxation and breathing have made an even bigger impact on my diving skills. I don't count when I'm diving, but I am very aware that I exhale slowly and for much longer than I inhale. Take a few classes; you have nothing to lose but some tension and stiffness!

    WJH


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    159

    Default

    yah, i just dd that for a couple minutes and now i have a headache, id be worried about carbon dioxide buildup


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Tom Mount did an excellent write up on the use of Yoga in diving. Try the encyclopedia of cave diving he wrote. lots of good stuff in there. Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D1V3R
    yah, i just dd that for a couple minutes and now i have a headache, id be worried about carbon dioxide buildup
    That's cause you don't START by breathing a 4/8 pattern. You start by learning to breathe all the way down into the bottom of the lungs, slow and relaxed. Then, when you have that right, you try a 2/4 pattern, then 3/6, then 4/8. And don't force it--inhale when you need to, exhale when you need to; but start learning to control the need reflex.

    Another way to work toward this goal is to practice breathing through a soda straw. This forces you to go slow. Again, it might be a bit difficult the first try, but it gets easier as you learn to relax and control the rhythm.

    WJH



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts