Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 44 of 44
  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Age
    67
    Posts
    201

    Default

    SS and Gavin started out with the a hot wound Oceanic motor. SS evolved to their own motor supply. I do not know if Gavin did the same.
    I do not know if the old and new motor(s) are interchangable. DPV Repair does make a T-bar handle for the Gavin. There is a CDF post on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Bix View Post
    Sooooo.... Back on track... Are the Gavins that are out there for sale right now made of the same parts that SS uses? I mean if the motor is rewound, is that gonna be the same as what would be in a SS scooter? and what about the seals, clutch, prop adjuster, etc.... As far as the handle goes I imagine Fabbing up something like the SS hand control would not be a huge deal if that's the only major difference.


  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    You need to see the inside of a Gavin, to see the difference between it an an SS, Magnus is a different motor entirely, but I assume that's more than you want to spend. Minnus is it's own little animal with gear reduction etc., but again expensive.
    You would be hard pressed to beat a UV-18 with a LIFE battery, or an N-19 with the Viper conversion, or a Viper or Viper LIFE for that matter.
    Awfully sure the Venom conversion can be put on almost any SS, giving you the three speeds, pretty sure battery chemistry doesn't matter, just to give you something else to consider. I really like the three speeds.
    Lead Acid is well known, awfully reliable, but HEAVY, LIPO is new, has a nasty habit of catching fire and is real EXPENSIVE, but light weight and powerful, LIFE is less power than LIPO, more power than Lead Acid, much safer and less expensive than LIPO, and has I believe a longer useful life than any other battery.


  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Specifically looking at those short bodied Gavins with rewound motors compared to the SS UV-18. If I was looking at new I'd be looking at the UV-18 with LiFE batteries.


  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Venice,Fl
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Ambidextrous controls?

    2 hands are better than 1.
    Im left handed! plus one hand get tired sometimes



 

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking out loud
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
  2. Thinking and restrictions
    By Garth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  3. What was this guy thinking!
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 05:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts