Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    251

    Default

    It's Valentine's day again, so it must be time my traditional rant...


    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    ... Personally I feel that DPV's are one of the least reliable pieces of gear out there. I've seen cave line disable one and I've had one of my own "stick" on (although I was able to ride that out without issue, and it eventually unstuck). I've heard first hand accounts of divers who have had brush boards melt, batteries die, etc.
    It always kills me when folks that have the latest computers, regulators, rebreathers and deco planing software complain about the reliability of a scooter that is based on 30 year old technology. Those variable pitch props were designed for the Tekna, a low power scooter by today's standards, and people are surprised when they snap off on a scooter with more power. They had clutch problems with the Tekna when the military tested them back in 1987 and someone's solution to use a metal clutch for the bigger motors just moved the problem to next weakest link, the prop. The same is true for people who rewound their motor for more power but don't upgrade the brush board. That design has had numerous tweaks and just as many band-aid fixes that people have come to accept. It's like someone trying to push technical diving limits on vintage, double hose regulators and a horse collar, complaining about how they don't feel safe. There is no reason to put up with a scooter that is not as reliable as your regulators, unless you choose to use outdated equipment.


    Rant over...

    Happy Valentine's day,
    Jon

    _______________________________________________
    Logic Dive Gear - Genesis DPV's
    Setting the new standard for performance and technology

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    There was someone who makes the modification either here on the deco stop. I can't remember who, but he posted them for sale and I bought one. Easiest thing ever to install. I tried to search here and on deco stop, but too much stuff came up so I didn't take the time to figure it out. Maybe someone else can remember. It was less than a year ago.... good price too, $25? $50 at most.

    maybe this will work: http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...042#post215042



    skip
    Hey, I made that handle. They can be found here:
    ADD HELIUM SCOOTER HANDLE BY DSIX


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I've decided to get a DPV. I've started some preliminary investigation and I think I've figured out what I'd like to do. I'm wondering what your opinions are.

    I'm looking at purchasing a used UV18 and putting the LiFe batteries in it. I'm told (and if my math is right) I can get about 2.5 hour run times out of it.

    I've spent several days diving a UV18, UV26 and a Minnus 1.5.
    I'm really not a fan of the 26. It's stable, but doesn't turn on a dime, and it weighs a ton. I like the UV18. It's pretty nimble, weighs enough that I can carry it easily, fits into my Jetta trunk. But, battery time sucks. The Minnus on the other hand is nimble, fast as hell, weighs nothing. But I hate the price of those batteries, and more than that, my wife will kill me if I burn down the house.

    So, I think I have my mind made up, but what are your thoughts. Also, if you have a UV18 with or without batteries, let me know. I'm looking for two unless you change my mind.
    Peter,

    Wait until I return, I'll be there for the month of April and possibly for a shorter 7 day trip in 2 weeks, try my G1200 before you buy anything, nothing made today comes close.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    Hey, I made that handle. They can be found here:
    ADD HELIUM SCOOTER HANDLE BY DSIX
    hey, that's right it was you! best scooter investment ever.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nellis View Post
    It's Valentine's day again, so it must be time my traditional rant...




    It always kills me when folks that have the latest computers, regulators, rebreathers and deco planing software complain about the reliability of a scooter that is based on 30 year old technology. Those variable pitch props were designed for the Tekna, a low power scooter by today's standards, and people are surprised when they snap off on a scooter with more power. They had clutch problems with the Tekna when the military tested them back in 1987 and someone's solution to use a metal clutch for the bigger motors just moved the problem to next weakest link, the prop. The same is true for people who rewound their motor for more power but don't upgrade the brush board. That design has had numerous tweaks and just as many band-aid fixes that people have come to accept. It's like someone trying to push technical diving limits on vintage, double hose regulators and a horse collar, complaining about how they don't feel safe. There is no reason to put up with a scooter that is not as reliable as your regulators, unless you choose to use outdated equipment.


    Rant over...

    Happy Valentine's day,
    Jon
    i own a couple big gavins and I'd probably agree with that. but they work for me and do just fine if you keep up with proper care and feeding.
    saving my nickels for an upgrade though


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks gents. Unfortunately I misunderstood and thought you were talking about a T/motorbike-style handle for a Gavin rather than the UV. Thanks anyway.

    Iain


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Even the latest and greatest Italian models can break. Whatever you do (with the exception of shallow, high flow springs at short distances) bring a spare and a buddy.


  8. #18
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    We all have different risk assessment. I'll admit I've been further in a cave than I know for a fact I could SWIM out with (but never without a spare scooter). Personally I feel that DPV's are one of the least reliable pieces of gear out there. I've seen cave line disable one and I've had one of my own "stick" on (although I was able to ride that out without issue, and it eventually unstuck). I've heard first hand accounts of divers who have had brush boards melt, batteries die, etc.
    .
    What brand of scooters were those? Suex? Gavin? SS?

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nellis View Post
    It always kills me when folks that have the latest computers, regulators, rebreathers and deco planing software complain about the reliability of a scooter that is based on 30 year old technology.
    You may have the latest regulator but I assure you it is based on much older technology and happens to be one of the most reliable pieces of equipment we use as divers. I'm all for improving performance and reliability but let's not discount the tools that have worked quite well and hold most of the current records just because they are based on 30 year old technology.

    While the latest scooter designs have certainly improved performance, it has yet to be seen whether they have improved overall reliability. In fact, some appear to be a step backwards in that department.


  10. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    As for flooding, if you are diving FW caves there is no reason to replace a lead acid battery if you flood the scooter. The only time flooding becomes an issue is when the water has enough electrolytes or contaminants in it to be damaging. Now if you crush the batteries somehow....

    "Is this thing on?"


 

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking out loud
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
  2. Thinking and restrictions
    By Garth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  3. What was this guy thinking!
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 05:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts