Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default Thinking of a DPV

    I've decided to get a DPV. I've started some preliminary investigation and I think I've figured out what I'd like to do. I'm wondering what your opinions are.

    I'm looking at purchasing a used UV18 and putting the LiFe batteries in it. I'm told (and if my math is right) I can get about 2.5 hour run times out of it.

    I've spent several days diving a UV18, UV26 and a Minnus 1.5.
    I'm really not a fan of the 26. It's stable, but doesn't turn on a dime, and it weighs a ton. I like the UV18. It's pretty nimble, weighs enough that I can carry it easily, fits into my Jetta trunk. But, battery time sucks. The Minnus on the other hand is nimble, fast as hell, weighs nothing. But I hate the price of those batteries, and more than that, my wife will kill me if I burn down the house.

    So, I think I have my mind made up, but what are your thoughts. Also, if you have a UV18 with or without batteries, let me know. I'm looking for two unless you change my mind.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I've decided to get a DPV. I've started some preliminary investigation and I think I've figured out what I'd like to do. I'm wondering what your opinions are.

    I'm looking at purchasing a used UV18 and putting the LiFe batteries in it. I'm told (and if my math is right) I can get about 2.5 hour run times out of it.

    I've spent several days diving a UV18, UV26 and a Minnus 1.5.
    I'm really not a fan of the 26. It's stable, but doesn't turn on a dime, and it weighs a ton. I like the UV18. It's pretty nimble, weighs enough that I can carry it easily, fits into my Jetta trunk. But, battery time sucks. The Minnus on the other hand is nimble, fast as hell, weighs nothing. But I hate the price of those batteries, and more than that, my wife will kill me if I burn down the house.

    So, I think I have my mind made up, but what are your thoughts. Also, if you have a UV18 with or without batteries, let me know. I'm looking for two unless you change my mind.
    How do you feel about expensive batteries that are unsealed? The first flood could cost you $600-800. Flood a lead acid and you're out $150-200 tops (2013 prices, lead has skyrocketed).

    I have two gavin 33's (slightly larger than a UV26) as well as a 18amp tube which only really gets used on boat dives.

    I would be careful not to buy so much battery that you can't afford a tow scooter.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    To be honest, while your post must make perfect sense to you, and probably others, I have no clue what you're talking about.
    Let me try to guess, correct me if I'm wrong...
    Your stating that the LiFe batteries can't be sealed?
    And if I flood them they'll be costly to replace compared to Lead Acid
    And you're stating that I need a tow scooter? I think...

    If all this is correct, here's my response...
    the difference between 200 and 600 dollars is insignificant for the amount of times a scooter floods. I can swing 400 dollars for the benefit of 2.5 hour run time.
    I have no need of a tow scooter. A. That's what my buddy is for, and B. I'll never be so far that my bailout can't swim me out of the cave.
    Imagine my scooter dying. Then my rebreather dies, then my bailout goes. Then my buddies scooter goes.... I'm still okay as long as my OC buddy doesn't suffer a gas loss. Dude, if I gotta plan for 5 catastrophic events, I'm going to quit cave diving or concede that God wants me dead.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    you're talking about a 2.5hr scooter with no tow. im not sure you want to swim out of that. what if it's deep?
    two scooters dying is not unheard of. i would imagine that linking up to tow after a failure is a prime opportunity to break a prop or suck up line.

    having said that, your scoot doesn't sound that expensive anyway even with these batts. shouldn't be too bad when you need to buy that second one


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Lite:

    It's more about doing two dives in one day without a recharge rather than one long dive. I don't dive with any CCR friends, so I'm limited.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    To be honest, while your post must make perfect sense to you, and probably others, I have no clue what you're talking about.
    Let me try to guess, correct me if I'm wrong...
    Your stating that the LiFe batteries can't be sealed?
    And if I flood them they'll be costly to replace compared to Lead Acid
    And you're stating that I need a tow scooter? I think...

    If all this is correct, here's my response...
    the difference between 200 and 600 dollars is insignificant for the amount of times a scooter floods. I can swing 400 dollars for the benefit of 2.5 hour run time.
    I have no need of a tow scooter. A. That's what my buddy is for, and B. I'll never be so far that my bailout can't swim me out of the cave.
    Imagine my scooter dying. Then my rebreather dies, then my bailout goes. Then my buddies scooter goes.... I'm still okay as long as my OC buddy doesn't suffer a gas loss. Dude, if I gotta plan for 5 catastrophic events, I'm going to quit cave diving or concede that God wants me dead.
    We all have different risk assessment. I'll admit I've been further in a cave than I know for a fact I could SWIM out with (but never without a spare scooter). Personally I feel that DPV's are one of the least reliable pieces of gear out there. I've seen cave line disable one and I've had one of my own "stick" on (although I was able to ride that out without issue, and it eventually unstuck). I've heard first hand accounts of divers who have had brush boards melt, batteries die, etc.

    Personally I'm not a huge fan of swimming out. It makes a much larger decompression obligation, causes anyone waiting at the surface for you to panic because you'll have run overtime (way way overtime including deco), and it makes calculating your deco gas kinda difficult.

    I'm fine with towing out of well marked tourist caves, but I don't want my head stuck in someone's crotch for an hour. I like knowing that I can see the navigational decisions as well

    Edit-- saw you posted while i was replying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Lite:

    It's more about doing two dives in one day without a recharge rather than one long dive. I don't dive with any CCR friends, so I'm limited.
    In that case, I guess you're all set.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    We all have different risk assessment. I'll admit I've been further in a cave than I know for a fact I could SWIM out with (but never without a spare scooter). Personally I feel that DPV's are one of the least reliable pieces of gear out there. I've seen cave line disable one and I've had one of my own "stick" on (although I was able to ride that out without issue, and it eventually unstuck). I've heard first hand accounts of divers who have had brush boards melt, batteries die, etc.

    Personally I'm not a huge fan of swimming out. It makes a much larger decompression obligation, causes anyone waiting at the surface for you to panic because you'll have run overtime (way way overtime including deco), and it makes calculating your deco gas kinda difficult.

    I'm fine with towing out of well marked tourist caves, but I don't want my head stuck in someone's crotch for an hour. I like knowing that I can see the navigational decisions as well

    Edit-- saw you posted while i was replying.

    In that case, I guess you're all set.
    it's a scary thing being towed out for a long way in a place that isn't ginnie springs. there's a lot of trust there...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Lite:

    It's more about doing two dives in one day without a recharge rather than one long dive. I don't dive with any CCR friends, so I'm limited.
    sounds like a sweet scooter for the money if you can find an 18 to stuff full of those batteries


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    I prefer the 26 for caves, the 18 for boats. the 26 is so smooth and easy and a little bit of practice improves the turning radius. the 26 tracks so much more easily it's almost like having autopilot. the 18 I can feel the torque pulling my wrist, which tires out before the dive is over. I added a T-handle so I could switch hands and save my wrists. True the 26 is weighty, but a nice handtruck makes it easer to haul than carrying the 18. the 26 gets you closer to your desired runtimes too without the expense of the LiFe.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi, Skip,

    Do you have any details or photos of how you converted the Gavin to a T-handle?

    Thanks,

    Iain


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    There was someone who makes the modification either here on the deco stop. I can't remember who, but he posted them for sale and I bought one. Easiest thing ever to install. I tried to search here and on deco stop, but too much stuff came up so I didn't take the time to figure it out. Maybe someone else can remember. It was less than a year ago.... good price too, $25? $50 at most.

    maybe this will work: http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...042#post215042

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking out loud
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
  2. Thinking and restrictions
    By Garth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  3. What was this guy thinking!
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 05:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts