Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default Southbound cave divers thru GA

    Just a warning for cave divers traveling through Georgia to do your homework on the gasoline status in the state. We are having panic buying of gas right now with long lines at every station, reminiscent of the 70s. What I do understand from reputable sources is that some stations along I-75 have a day supply of fuel,and possible delays in shipment of more.
    I guess if you have to be stranded due to fuel,let it be in North Florida.
    Good luck


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Just saw on the news that some stations in Atlanta are charging $4.99 gal and a bunch have gone to $3.49 gal. Some stations in Columbus and Phenix City, AL are already out of gas.

    Murph


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Bummer, Thanks for the warning and I hope you and your family are well. Figures I just started a job where I drive around 60 miles a day. Thanks, Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medic2230
    Just saw on the news that some stations in Atlanta are charging $4.99 gal and a bunch have gone to $3.49 gal. Some stations in Columbus and Phenix City, AL are already out of gas.
    A friend of mine that drives an 18 wheeler said he got a message from his company through their computer that said that the panhandle of FL, parts of GA, most of AL, TN, and KY are all charging rates as high as $5.75/gal. They also say that close to 25% of the stations in those states are out of gas.

    I saw lots of panic buying here in Florida today on my drive from Orlando to Tampa and back. Long lines at some places, and lots of gas cans being filled. When I drove by a Wal-Mart, there was a sign out front saying "NO GAS CANS LEFT".

    The real problem is being caused by people doing the excessive panic buying. This will continue to drive the price up....and some experts are predicting $4.00/gal average is just around the corner.

    Mike


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I am in Atlanta, and it is true. The lines are hours long, and many stations have run out, and are closed. I can't get gas for my trip this weekend. AAA can't even keep up with the price changes, and won't promise any stations along my route will be open when I get to them.

    While I would rather be stranded at a dive site, I will take home as a close second, over being stuck along some highway in the middle of nowhere.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I'm with you FW. Most of the stations around here are out of gas as well. Looks like I will be sitting at home and watching TV this weekend instead of being out diving.

    Matt


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Valdosta,Ga
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Sorry guys I did get to fill up it was $70 to fill up but I did get 20gal of gas. I will be in Cave country this weekend but looks like I will be staying the weekend instead of coming back and fourth like I do most ofthe time.

    (All give some, Some give ALL . Semper Fi) Safe Diving (JAMMER)

  8. #8
    Guest

    Default

    I was on my way to SC this afternoon, for a weekend of fun with friends, but they called to tell me about the 'gas problem'... I got off I-95 and sure enough, huge lines... I came home...

    If things don't improve before Friday, I guess I could go cave diving...


  9. #9
    Guest

    Default

    Oh well, you folks have fun at the Gear Swap, Survey Seminar, and Fauna Count (thanks for the invite, Kelly). The last thing I need is to be stranded in south Georgia.

    On a more somber note, my 14-year-old puppy dog (that's OLD for a Doberman pinscher) is literally on her last days, and I was uneasy about being away for what may well be her last weekend. I'll instead spend Saturday and Sunday lying on the couch, rubbing her on the head.

    Russell


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge
    Oh well, you folks have fun at the Gear Swap, Survey Seminar, and Fauna Count (thanks for the invite, Kelly). The last thing I need is to be stranded in south Georgia.

    On a more somber note, my 14-year-old puppy dog (that's OLD for a Doberman pinscher) is literally on her last days, and I was uneasy about being away for what may well be her last weekend. I'll instead spend Saturday and Sunday lying on the couch, rubbing her on the head.

    Russell
    Russell,

    Bless your heart, you've got your priorities straight.

    Lori



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts