Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    long island
    Posts
    179

    Default pick up truck tank storage

    I know many people are just laying the tanks down. Was wondering if anybody stands the tanks up along the sides of the bed and have they built any homebrewed racks or anything the keep the tanks in place along the bed.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland FL
    Posts
    750

    Default

    I lay them down mostly but I have stood them up. I built a small box that holds them standing up and the box has handles on it that I run straps thru and hook to the lil eyelets in the bed of my truck.

    BRANDON

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I have seen a couple build tank racks, to stand up doubles in their SUV & Trucks. I don't have pics but it is made out of 2x6 as the bottom and back with 2x4 on the edges as supports.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    If you stand tanks up, you MUST secure them somehow. Chain, ropes, very heavy bungee, cradles. When tanks are laying down, you only need to "chock" them in position to keep them rolling around. Normally this is accomplised by all the REST of the @#$% you are piling in the truck.

    For home made racks, pieces of PVC pipe, correct diameter for tanks, and cut to about 3/4 of tank height work great. You can bolt them together with a wood frame that can be removable from truck, or bolted to truck body.

    Many people with "dedicated" trucks or trailers for diving will string a set of eye bolts and chains down the side wall to secure tanks in upright position.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Oops, sorry. I'm a sidemounter. I'm only thinking in terms of individual cylinders. You're talking about securing doubles?

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I am the one who brought up doubles, but the OP said nothing about singles or doubles.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    553

    Default

    I do both.
    Long haul (e.g. StL to Huron or StL to NFL) I lay them down up next to the cab to distribute the load in the truck and keep most secure. I snug them a bit to the front, low cargo tie-offs to keep them from shifting around.
    Short trips or after arriving 'in the area' I stand them up on each side for quicker access. I have a capper that is bolted down, but I had the installer give me the unused clamps. I threaded the aluminum, installed large eye-bolts, backed with locking nut and use them as anchor points to strap the upper portion of the tanks in place. If I have singles, I throw a strap from the low cargo tie around the lower portion of the tanks to keep them from 'kicking' out.

    (fwiw, I ordered some special made clamp on, bed rail mounts that were supposed to work even with covers and cappers. They would fold back when not in use where the clamps I use now always stick out into the bed. The special clamps didn't work with my setup and I returned them and went back to my old standbys.)

    When you're there you know there's a There there.
    Jobst Brandt

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    I went to Walmart and bought pool noodles. I cut the pool noodles in half to make them each about 3' long. Using a 3/8" drill bit, I drilled a hole through the pool noodle at the top middle and bottom. I slid 3/8" rope through the pool noodles at top, middle and bottom to connect the two noodles together. I laid the pool noodles in my truck bed, then put the tank in the pool noodles. The tanks won't move even with very aggressive driving. Total cost: Less than 20 bucks.

    I used the same method to move K and T bottles for Oxygen and Helium


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    I put a bed slide in my pickup and lay the tanks down. Then I strap them down to keep them from rolling around. When traveling long distances I put the tanks up forward to get the weight in the center of the vehicle. When traveling from the dive site to the fill station, the tanks are on the back so it's easy to fill them.

    Next, I built a set of shelves for the back seat of the crew cab. These knock down so I put them in and out as needed for diving. While you can't see this in the pics below, I installed some cheap LED lights under the lip of the bed side and wired them into the cabin lights. With the bed cover closed, you can see what's in back at night by oping any door.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	bedslide2.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	7797Click image for larger version

Name:	f150_passenger_side.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	7796Click image for larger version

Name:	f150_drivers_side.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	720.3 KB
ID:	7795Click image for larger version

Name:	bedslide16.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	7798


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Age
    77
    Posts
    138

    Default

    This is what I made and it could be adjust to carry doubles or extra cross piece put in one section to carry 40s. If I made another one I would make so the tanks valves didn't hand over the end, I have turn the valve on several times putting them in the rack.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	tank rack 2.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	7801Click image for larger version

Name:	tank rack 1.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	7802
    The straps are on the one in the truck because it wasn't glued yet and I was doing a test fit.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Peacock tank pick up ?
    By fewproud0001 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
  2. Tank Rack in back of truck?
    By J_glenn06 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts