Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21

    Default

    There are really two big things that have kept me from diving Abaco. The cost is high, but I could and would do it . . . but discussions with Brian over a couple of years left me with the impression that it wasn't WORTH the cost if you were diving backmount. (I read your report elsewhere, John, that heartened me on this topic, but Brian's pretty clear that one will get to see much more and better cave if sidemount.) The other thing that has given me pause is the profiles on some of the caves. As a result of three very distressing experiences, I have made a personal decision not to go below 80' in a cave without helium in my breathing gas. But it is difficult to justify the expense and hassle for a brief "duckunder" that goes well below that -- nonetheless, I am not safe at 100 feet in a cave on Nitrox, and I have proven that to my own satisfaction.


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    There are really two big things that have kept me from diving Abaco. The cost is high, but I could and would do it . . . but discussions with Brian over a couple of years left me with the impression that it wasn't WORTH the cost if you were diving backmount. (I read your report elsewhere, John, that heartened me on this topic, but Brian's pretty clear that one will get to see much more and better cave if sidemount.) The other thing that has given me pause is the profiles on some of the caves. As a result of three very distressing experiences, I have made a personal decision not to go below 80' in a cave without helium in my breathing gas. But it is difficult to justify the expense and hassle for a brief "duckunder" that goes well below that -- nonetheless, I am not safe at 100 feet in a cave on Nitrox, and I have proven that to my own satisfaction.
    I don't agree about the "not worth doing in back mount". There is a lot of beautiful cave that can be done in back mount. You just cant get "up close and personal" with all the formations.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Hope that I am not reopening too old of a thread, but I have an idea why there aren't many guides in the bahamas. The caves are deep, really deep before they get fun. Diving them on mix is a great idea, but way expensive. Most that I have been in (Stargate, bejamins, sb3, ocean bh, four sharks, etc) don't get interesting until about 90 or so. Not to mention the changing currents due to tides. Don't do these caves without someone like Brian K, or other experienced guide. Not only will you have a safer experience and are more likely to survive. You will have an opportunity to dive with an amazing cave diver!



 

Similar Threads

  1. cave diving bahamas
    By wlamm in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
  2. Some Thoughts on Cave Diving Fatalities
    By BgDadddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 06:06 AM
  3. Cave Diving in the Bahamas
    By cavecliff in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts