Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    719

    Default Name of a particular (huge) Spring in the Gulf of Mexico???

    I saw a profile drawing about a year ago. It was a spring in the Gulf of Mexico, somewhere in the Naples/Tampa vicinity, and it appeared to be a very large, and deep (400ft+) cone, with the smaller end at the top. The entrance was deeper than 100ft, but that's about all I can remember.

    I'm not looking to dive it, but I would like to read up on the subject. Perhaps someone can throw out some names that will jog my memory, or point me in the right direction.

    Thanks.


  2. #2

    Default


    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Unfortunately, there is not a diagram of Glory Hole Sink, and I am unwilling to do a google image search.

    Amberjack Hole looks correct, though the drawing I saw didn't have the bottom diagrammed out yet, and I thought it exceeded 400ft. Even if it is incorrect, it's close enough for my purposes, so I thank you.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Crosby, TX
    Posts
    364

    Default

    The description of the Glory Hole sounds fishy to me. How can there be a siphon in the ocean? Where's it draining to, China?

    I guess they're probably talking about a tidal influence, but that would alternate between inflow and outflow...

    Cool names though--


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    Eh...

    Alot of the submarine springs will spring and siphon. There's alot of head pressure when an ocean or gulf gets ontop of a karst window. Remember, not all these places have been in the ocean forever... sealevels have changed dramatically over history.



    Green Banana and Red Snapper Sinks are both submarine sinks with depths over 400' BTW(Benderr)


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Crosby, TX
    Posts
    364

    Default

    From the site (emphasis mine):
    The Glory Hole is a submerged "siphon" sink with a small opening that continually sucks in water
    I'm aware that blue holes can cycle between a spring and siphon because of tides. I don't see how it would be possible to have a continual siphon though-- the ocean's the lowest water level in general, any other bodies of water that connect to it should either flow into it, or if the levels are equal not flow at all.


  7. #7

    Default

    Hopefully Curt Bowen will check this thread as he probably knows which one you are talking about and might have even done the drawing of it for his magazine.


  8. #8

    Default

    http://curtbowen.smugmug.com/Cave-Ex...7221&k=WTtmqzr

    The Green Banana sink is the only one I have explored below 400 feet. The original map did not have the bottom, as we were in it on air to 340' and just plumed it with a reel and weight. (old deep air days)

    "Get off your butts and EXPLORE"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kotik View Post
    The description of the Glory Hole sounds fishy to me. How can there be a siphon in the ocean? Where's it draining to, China?

    I guess they're probably talking about a tidal influence, but that would alternate between inflow and outflow...

    Cool names though--

    None of the deep Gulf of Mexico sinks (starting below 110 feet) siphon and only one I have explored, Pride Sink, located a mile north of the Mexican Pride wreck has two small salt water boils at the bottom. (227 feet)
    We have explored around a dozen deep gulf sinks. None of them contain any passage, thus far.

    "Get off your butts and EXPLORE"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Neptune Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,300

    Default

    Is it called:

    The Sink that can not be spoken of.

    "Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

    Earnest Shackleton


 

Similar Threads

  1. Diver Death in gulf?
    By CaptainSpeleo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
  2. 6.0 Earthquake in the gulf
    By curtschu in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts