Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: OW diver asks you where is the cave

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-here is map on how to find it and have fun

    4 4.35%
  • No-there is a spring here,but isn't a site for OW dives

    88 95.65%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Here's what I did a few weeks back. I think the training agencies need to include something like this in every class. Do any of the old guys here remember the Driver's Ed. movies we had to watch in high school showing all the gore and mayhem from wrecks. They scared the heck outta me. Maybe it would work for divers too.

    http://www.floridadiveconnection.com...ery-new-diver/

    R B

    www.floridadiveconnection.com

    "The life so short, the craft so long to learn" - Chaucer

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real1628 View Post
    Here's what I did a few weeks back. I think the training agencies need to include something like this in every class. Do any of the old guys here remember the Driver's Ed. movies we had to watch in high school showing all the gore and mayhem from wrecks. They scared the heck outta me. Maybe it would work for divers too.

    http://www.floridadiveconnection.com...ery-new-diver/
    The problem is that many instructors (and agencies) consider the chances of their students going into a cave to be remote, since there are no caves in their area. As we know, that isn't totally true.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Good thread to start, Kelly, especially with the recent post by the father of the family involved in the Twin Cave incident on Merritt's Mill Pond. I won't tell anyone who is not cave trained how to access any cavern or caves. There are other means by which they might obtain that info, but it won't be from me. The "cave community" may not be able to keep them out, but we certainly shouldn't do anything to assist them in entering. No directions, no descriptions. Warning the untrained is a good thing to do, irregardless of how they respond. Simply, "You are not trained for this kind diving, other untrained divers like you have died by just swimming in, I urge you not to do it. Get trained first."


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    The problem is that many instructors (and agencies) consider the chances of their students going into a cave to be remote, since there are no caves in their area. As we know, that isn't totally true.
    Not only that, but there is a trend toward taking all the scariness away and making the O/W class a warm fuzzy experience so the ranks can continue to expand and the $s will keep coming in. I'm sure we've all seen the signs that say "Remember when SCUBA diving was dangerous and sex was safe?" We have to focus on quality training and building experience. I shook a divemaster's hand earlier this year when he was explaining why he's been certified for years and just became a divemaster. He said,"I wanted to learn how to dive before I became a Divemaster." We need more of that attitude in diving.

    R B

    www.floridadiveconnection.com

    "The life so short, the craft so long to learn" - Chaucer

  5. #15
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    In America where it is Mom,apple pie,and litigation,this is an area of concern. If I told someone that wasn't trained how to find a cave diving site when they were obviously open water divers,would I be held to contribuatory negilgence. Considering there was a successful suit of one dive buddy suing another for actions on a dive,what makes us think this isn't far fetched. Cave diving historically is more open about publicizing dive sites than dry cavers,and dry cavers have some very good reasons with much success.
    Is it good that we make things easy for anybody to find how to access these systems ie directions,gps numbers etc? Land owners may argue no.

    So what you are pushing for is a way to shut down the sites/information on caves and their locations because of possible liability that you are making up on your own?

    Sounds like a path to a "closed database" of information to me.

    Figured there was a hidden agenda to the poll. Good to see you come clean early.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    I'm afraid the truth is the biggest source of information on where the caves are, is from places like this on the internet. What do you do about that? I don't have an answer.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Well this is interesting as this very thing happened to me when I was diving at OG last year.
    Two OW divers with hand held flash lights wanted me to guide them to the cave and were very polite.
    I asked them if they had any formal cave training and they said no it was not required to dive here.
    They looked at me and said I must know what I was doing because I had all the gear.
    At this point I went from playing along to are you guys serious?
    They were and did not like it when I told them it was to be OW in pool only!

    My wife and daughter were swimming in the pool checking it out so I sort of just hid in the shadow above the cave off to the right.
    What they did next horrified me!
    They swam down to look for my line to follow it into the cave.
    They looked for about 5 min. and swam into the cave no line or reel of any kind!
    Hanging there wondering just what to do I decided that I would wait 15 min and if they had not returned run a line in to the mainline and look for them.

    I had started to tie in when I saw a light flicker from well into the cave so I returned to my perch about the entrance.
    They made it out and before they could turn to look for me I slipped in the dark tied in and headed to the sign to investigate.
    No real damage or any more than normal I should say so I exited.

    My wife and daughter said the two were very angry with me for not taking them on a dive.
    Are YOU KIDDING ME!
    I looked around but they must have took off.
    I reported it to the ranger and to CE but it is no wonder one of these has not been a fatality.

    You can not protect people from themselves!
    They, WE are our own worst enemies!
    When rules and signs won't deter them then possibly Darwin will remove them from the gene pool.
    The cave community does a awesome job of making others aware of the danger but in the end it is up to the individual to choose.

    JCG


  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    So what you are pushing for is a way to shut down the sites/information on caves and their locations because of possible liability that you are making up on your own?

    Sounds like a path to a "closed database" of information to me.

    Figured there was a hidden agenda to the poll. Good to see you come clean early.
    No agenda at all because I am too superficial of a thinker for that. But,think about what has worked for the dry caving community. I am not saying it would work for us,but it is something worth discussing. In reality I have been in the position of the poll scenario,and my choice then as it is now is that I am unwilling to share information unless your training (and experience) will allow you to perform the dive.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Darwin works...

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    So what you are pushing for is a way to shut down the sites/information on caves and their locations because of possible liability that you are making up on your own?

    Sounds like a path to a "closed database" of information to me.

    Figured there was a hidden agenda to the poll. Good to see you come clean early.
    Not everthing and everybody has a hidden agenda. I would no more inform and open water diver were a cave location was than I would cut off my own arm. Not all information is meant for everyone. That does not mean that there's a conspiracy to withhold information to everyone. Think of it this way, some information is on a need to know basis, and OW divers don't need to know cave locations.

    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok, President Harvard University.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Houston Area Cave Divers – Reminder! June 23, Cave Diver Day at Mammoth Lake!!
    By kotik in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts